Friday, May 2, 2014

Week's End

     It's been a glorious week, a restful week.  I've been sleeping like the dead, it's wonderful.

     Today is the sixth day of not having to deliver papers.  Of not having to rise at 4:30 in the morning.  Of not having to dodge sprouting peony bushes in the dark.  I shall never take sleep for granted again.

     The paper did find a replacement, but as yet, we don't know who they are.  They have done a pretty good job, at least until today.  There is no paper this morning.  Maybe they overslept, maybe they are still fine tuning the route, trying to figure out the shortest distance between point A and point B.  Maybe they had to fill up the tank on their truck, that will be a shocker.  I've had to take two short trips this past week and I still have gas in the tank.  The last time I filled it up, while still delivering papers, it cost me $29.00, I made $28.  I may not be good at math, but even I can figure that's a no brainer.

     I read an article the other day about the powers that be picking on the people with the e-cigs, the electronic cigarettes, or vapors. The powers don't want people to use these in public because of the stigma associated with smoking.  They feel that when young people see this activity, it will make them want to try it.  In the article a woman said that tobacco should be a thing of the past, like a rotary telephone.  I'd wager there is still a rotary phone or two, in working order, in this country, but this woman obviously knows better.  I know smoking is not a healthy activity, neither is playing in the traffic.  But, I believe the human race has been smoking, drinking or eating some sort of substance for a euphoric sensation for as long as the human race has been around.  If the health police would spend more time working on the good things, like a child's self esteem, and pointing out all their wonderful qualities, there would be a lot less kids who would need to turn to a substance.  This would also be a much cheaper route than dragging frivolous banter through the muckiness of the court systems.

     The bleach bottle planter design has a flaw.  They are still up, but I have noticed they need more support between the handle of the bottle and the bottle itself.  I think I have an idea that will work and it should be an interesting endeavor since all three bottles, per post, will release simultaneously when the zip ties are cut.  Perhaps my husband will be overjoyed to help......then again, perhaps not.

     I've about given up on the strawberry plants, I think they must have been duds.  I will plant something else in the hanging bottle tower planter, like leaf lettuce.  If the strawberries do decide to grow, I'll have a nice ready made fruit salad at my disposal.

     Have a wonderful weekend.  Read something, plant something and be sure to give a kind word or smile to a deserving child and especially to the undeserving one.      

No comments:

Post a Comment