Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sweet Dreams

"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one...."

                                                                                   Imagine, John Lennon 1971

     The night temperatures have been in the upper 40's, lower 50's.  I'm sleeping with the window open.  Luckily, the wind has been coming out of the east, I don't have to smell the wood smoke from the western neighbors.  

     Mother always said nothing good came out of the east.  I beg to differ with her on this, it's been glorious.  The cool night breeze feels like cold satin on my skin.  Since I do not have the ability to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, like my husband, I can lie in this breeze and reflect.  I can think about what has happened during the day or  mull over the goings on of the last several days.  Or I can dream.

     I can picture myself being in a completely different setting.  Maybe the breeze is blowing through an open window in a tree house set high in the rain forest.  I can imagine all the sounds that the forest creatures of the night might make.  Maybe I'm sleeping in a sprawling beach house, far away from any other inhabitants.  I can hear the ocean gently lapping the shore.  Maybe I'm in a old castle in some distant land, high in a tower, listening for the last battalion of soldiers to return from battle.

     When I do this, crazy as it may sound, it helps to lift the burdens of my soul.  It allows me to escape and be anything or person I wish to be.  It lets my brain release all of its crazy ideas and play them out to either my advantage or disadvantage.  It helps to form the characters for my story, my book, that tugs so strongly at my heart.  It lets me know I'm on the right path, regardless of the obstacles I may face along the way.

     I used to do this as a kid except most of it was done during the day.  I could daydream for hours on end.  I'm sure this must have driven my folks crazy.  I think I heard the phrase, "pay attention!" a lot.  

     I believe we choose the path we walk on this earth before we ever get here.  Sometimes I wonder and even ask out loud "Why the hell did I choose this!?", but I know in the long run, it's just part of my journey.

     If you have a dreamer amongst you, don't be too hard on them.  You never know, you may be raising the next president, or best selling author or a quantum physicist who will unlock the mysteries of the universe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment