Monday, May 19, 2014

Weekend Creativity

     Another beautiful weekend in the Great Mid-West.  Once again, I spent most of it outdoors.  

     I think most everyone else did too.  Readership on my blog falls way down on the weekends.  That's OK, it was a long winter, we pleaded for this kind of weather so now we must act accordingly. No sense in staying inside, glued to a glowing screen.  Perhaps I will pick up a reader or two in the southern hemisphere since it is their turn for colder temps.

     We made quite a dent in the list of things to do in the yard.  All but putting on the weed and feed.  The directions said to put it on a wet lawn or to water the lawn thoroughly before applying.  My husband convinced me to wait until this morning, there will be plenty of dew he said.  I jumped out of bed bright and early, got dressed and ran to the shed....through the grass.....not one drop of dew.  It also said to apply on a calm day.  My days are rarely calm anymore but I realized it meant no wind.  The wind was already blowing and is supposed to blow about 30 mph later on, so no weed and feed today.

     The latest in the yard art projects was the front flower bed.  Over the years it has had many tulips, a bleeding heart and a few surprise lilies.  The bed is raised a bit and surrounded by railroad ties because that was the only safe place to put things I didn't want my husband to mow over.  Lately the bed was becoming unruly and was amounting to more work than I wanted to devote to it.  

     I needed to put a sign out front, for my business, and decided the flower bed could serve a new purpose.  I turned my husband loose with the weed eater.  A man with a tool, that has any kind of motor attached to it, is a beautiful thing.

     "What part do you want me to weed-eat?", he asked.

     "All of it.", I answered.

     His demeanor instantly changed to that of euphoria.  I stepped back around the corner, this is one mean weed eater and this was a man with a mission.  Besides, I learned long ago he could whack me with a rock at 50 feet.

     With all the foliage shredded to smithereens, we put down some yard fabric and covered it with mulch.  I had to admit, it looked much better than before.  My sign was ready and I "planted" it in the middle.  My bonus daughter had given me a lovely hanging planter filled with wave petunias for Mother's Day and I hung it on a shepherds hook to one side of the sign.  

     My neighbor asked me what I was doing.  "Hanging a shingle.", I told her, instantly regretting that choice of words, geeze, I'm getting old. 

     The sign is a little small for the area it's in, but it works for now and will give future customers something to look for when trying to find the house.   Notice the unsightly downspout to the left of the sign?  Oh, wait until I tell you what I've done with that!

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment