Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Time Do Fly

     Time sure flies when you're having fun.  

     As a senior in high school during the 70's, I remember a time when several of my classmates were having a discussion.  It was close to graduation, in 1974 and we were talking about how old we would be in the year 2000.

     Back when we were in kindergarten, the age requirement for starting school was turning 5 years old in that particular year, not just before September.  Some of my classmates were nearly a year older than others since we had birthdays that scanned the calendar from mid January to the wee hours of December.

     But one thing was certain, we would all be in our mid forties by the time 2000 rolled around.

     Seventeen and eighteen years old individuals have absolutely no concept of the passing of time.  After all, we were standing on the threshold to freedom, what more could we have asked for.  The year of 2000 seemed like eons away.  We laughed and made jokes about white hair, canes and walkers, hey, forty something was ancient.

     Yes, it seems we spend the first 25 or so years hitting the fast forward button and the rest hitting rewind.

     Now we stand on a new threshold.  The teetering edge of a new year.  The year 2000 will soon be 14 years behind us and high school forty years past.  

     The time of new resolutions is upon us, and I'm sure there will be many made.  Some will last throughout the year and others will wane like the moon.  

     One of mine is to get more exercise, and I started yesterday.  It's a simple plan, well maybe simple if you happen to be an expert at triathlons, and only consists of four body sculpting moves.  The most appealing feature of this workout is that it only takes 10 minutes to perform.  That's my kind of plan, surely I can find ten short minutes everyday to better myself.

     I barely made it through the first 2 1/2 minutes and 30 seconds of that was resting.  I felt like I was going to have "the big one" but must admit, I did feel better for the rest of the day.  Surprisingly, I was able to get out of bed this morning, so I shall give it another shot today.

     I have a pull-up bar that hangs in the doorway between the kitchen and front room.  At one time I could do 10.  Since it is over the top of my head, I have chosen to simply walk beneath it for the past year.  I will work on that again too, right now I can do almost a half of one.  I suppose I could do them like my youngest granddaughter does.  She is 3, hangs on the bar and pulls her knees up.  She can do fourteen of these pseudo pull-ups before her hands give out.   Just hanging on the bar is a feat unto itself.

     That's it for the exercise, I'm worn out just writing about it.  

     I shall eat better.  So easy to say when you have come down off of 30 days of cramming things into your system that you wouldn't touch any other time of the year.  That's another fun thing about getting older, you can undo eleven months of healthy living and weight loss in less than a month.  Could be a new title, "Gain 20 Pounds in 10 Days!.....Guaranteed!"

     I'm not going to get caught up in world affairs, unless I can do it satirically.  It's not that I don't care, I do, but getting bound up in huge amounts of negativity is not good for the soul.  I think I shall spend more time handing these things over to my Creator.  If more of us did that, we might see some better results.
     
     Last but not least.....stress less, have more faith and write more.  It is hard not to get stressed in this day and age whatever the reason, be it money, health or just life in general.  The one thing that I have discovered, as I reflect on this past year is this:  Every time I thought things were going to come crashing down around me like tiny shards of glass, they didn't.  When I thought it would never get better, it did.  And when there seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel, there was and it was bigger and brighter than before.  

     I'm still hitting re-wind and slamming on the brakes.  I want to skid around the corners and if I fall off the edge, I hope I can get back up and try again.  If you don't stick with your new resolution, set a new goal and keep on trying, remember, we all fall short from time to time.

     Happy New year, see you in 2014.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment