Thursday, December 19, 2013

Nuts To You

     This morning, while waking, I was thinking about almond bark. What a silly name, I thought, why do they call it almond bark?  It doesn't conjure up an appetizing picture.  Who wants to sit around and chew the bark?  

     Almond bark thoughts got me to thinking about nuts.  Peanuts in particular.  Why do they call them peanuts?  They don't really look like peas.  My research showed me that peanuts are the only nut that doesn't grow on a tree.  Nope, you wont find a peanut tree growing anywhere.  They actually grow under the ground, like a potato and are harvested in similar fashion.  Since they grow sort of like potatoes and are similar in shape, why not call them poenuts?  I like the sound of that.  I can just hear someone at the local watering hole saying, "Hey, pass me some of them there poenuts."  I believe I shall call them poenuts from now on.

     Poenuts got me to thinking about other nuts.  The tasty hazelnut, why they named it hazel is beyond me, but they are good.  Then there are almonds, walnuts, pecans and cashews.  I love cashews and enjoy picking them all out of a container of mixed nuts.  This defiant act does not please my husband....which is probably why I do it in the first place.  

     His mother introduced me to the wonderful macadamia nut.  I doubt there is a person, in a three county radius from here, who didn't have or love Tutu's macadamia nut cookies.  Not to mention the legions of country western artists that she followed.  Tutu was a country western groopie.  I don't think there was a concert that she attended, that she didn't have a backstage pass.  She always took macadamia nut cookies for the performer and their league of band members.  After a taste of those cookies, she gained instant access to their motor homes and became part of their family.  Yes indeed, she had a way with those magic macadamia nuts.

     Then there are Brazil nuts.  As far as I'm concerned, they can ship the whole lot of them back to South America.  Yuk, they are nasty.  I think their only purpose is for filler.  They take up more space than other nuts and that keeps the folks at the mixed nut factory from putting too many of the tasty nuts in one batch.  Brazil nuts come from the same "family" as blueberries.  Well, that's just nuts to me.

     Coconuts have always perplexed me.  Since they grow way up high, I always thought they should be called cuckoo nuts, because that's what you would be if one hit you on the head.  They are probably the only nut that has been made into clothing, I always did want a coconut bra.  It would last forever and never lose its shape but since the shell is rather rough they'd probably be hard on a sweater.

     This mornings paper had yet another article about the new healthcare system.  Thousands of people in Illinois have to reapply because of a glitch in the system......again.  Do you suppose they are saying, "Well, nuts!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment