Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Random Winter Thoughts

     Not leaving the house for days at a time makes for some pretty dull blog content.  It's not like I'm a hermit, but I could be, I just have a lot of stuff to finish in a short amount of time.  

     I did go get the mail yesterday, that was a fun trip.  My sister, Lela, had called just as I walked out the door.  I chatted with her as I drove the long four blocks to the post office.  Then I sat in my car and we chatted some more.  I finally decided to go in and get my mail, even though I do dislike it when people can't put their phone down long enough to do mundane things, like getting their mail.  I gave a wave to the post master, she was on the phone too, so I didn't feel as rude as the message I was sending.  

     I headed back to the car, still chatting with Lela, and gingerly walking and watching my steps.  We got our first measurable snow fall the other day.  Since then paths have been scooped and it has warmed up just enough to melt and refreeze the areas that were not cleared to the pavement.  I do not like to fall.  The last time I fell, I was standing on black ice, perfectly still.  The next thing I knew my feet were magically whisked from beneath me and I landed hard on my butt with both hands at my sides.  The car keys clutched in one hand were now embedded in my palm and I ended up with a slight fracture in the other elbow.  So, no, I do not like to fall.

     I was still making my way back to the car, still chatting with Lela and had all my mail in my free hand.  Just before I got to the car, my mail did a magic trick and leaped from my hand, straight up into the air.  It looked like the card game, 52 pick up.  I relay this situation to Lela and now I'm trying to gather my mail, with whatever dignity I have left, still trying not to fall and laughing like an idiot along with my sister.  That was yesterdays' highlight.
     
     This morning I was standing outside, listening.  Snow makes for good insulation, everything is so quiet.  Even the birds are quiet.  Of course, the migratory birds all had the good sense to skidaddle to the south as the weather turned cold, but I miss their morning chatter.  The cardinals that remain gave me a cold stare, probably wondering why I haven't filled my feeders.  I will, but that will require me to not only leave the house, but to leave town....maybe tomorrow.

     Speaking of town, my little town of Griggsville, Illinois made the list of the safest place to live in the state.  Not only did it make the list, it was THEEE number one safest place and made for some front page news on today's paper.  It's good to have some claim to fame besides living in the most broke state in the union.  Can we say BUDGET people?  The rest of us have to live on one.

     Looking at the snow again, I glance at the calendar.  It won't be officially winter for five more days.  Winter months make for dry air in the house.  I should really think about filling the humidifier in the bed room.  Our bed is all metal.  While I was making the bed, I touched the headboard.  I now know what it feels like to be tazered, yep, lots of static in the air.  A really good definition of static cling would be, arriving home to find your favorite pair of lace panties stuck to the back of your hoodie.  Fun stuff, winter.

     Once again, I cannot see the top of my desk.  I don't understand how that happens, but it is not on my list of things to do today, so it will have to wait.  Luckily the keyboard slides out from under the top of the desk, so I can still put my random winter thoughts on the screen.

      

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment