Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dear Diary

     Dear Diary,

     Today is Wednesday.  That is not usually a big deal, but this Wednesday happens to be the Wednesday before Christmas.  I suddenly realized I had not done any shopping yet.....Thank God for Amazon.com.  Once again, it has saved me, but my youngest grandson may have to open a picture of one of his gifts.  I vow to do better next year.

     Also, Wednesday is trash day.  I missed it.  I was too busy shopping online and by the time I heard the garbage truck, it was too late.  That was not a good thing.  This was the week I really needed to get rid of a bunch of stuff.  This was the week I needed to go through the house and empty all the little trash receptacles that are placed hither and yon.  I think the trash man was not too happy with me also.  He was probably expecting the bin to be full, even though the truck actually empties the bin, and it was not.  I did finally get the trash out this evening and the bin was turned completely around, facing the wrong direction.  This caused me to trek through the snow, to put forgotten trash into the bin.

     This wouldn't have been such a bad thing except the snow is really not snow anymore.  Even though the temperature got up into the 40's today, my big honkin' trash receptacle is on the north side of my house.  The path to it has glazed over and having it faced the opposite direction as usual, made cause for some interesting foot work.  I did manage to hoss everything in the bin, but there is little room left.  If he wasn't happy this week, he will be less happy next.

     Diary, I got some really neat food today.  My youngest daughter has been telling me about this group that gets these great food baskets for a good price.  I decided I would get one too.  It was full of fresh veggies and fruit.  It looks really pretty in the food crisper drawer.  Perhaps I will make something before their pretty colors fade to a whiter shade of grey.  I'm not sure what to do with yellow squash, sounds like a good google search.   Here's a pic:
     Diary, I've been really busy and did something I said I wouldn't do.  Take orders after the cut off date.  So therefore, I've been rolling beads like crazy, the results have been most satisfying.  Next year I will not be so kind.....I think I said that last year too.

     It was raining out back today.  Well, not really.  The wood lattice that is over the top of the pergola holds snow, even though there are one inch holes in the lattice.  When the temperature rises the lattice turns into nature's ice maker.  The snow melts like crazy and drips like rain, but every so often a nice square cube of ice falls out of the one inch opening.  It's kind of neat, unless you are standing out there and one hits you in the head, or worse, falls down the back of your shirt.  The cats do not appreciate this much either.  It makes for some pretty soggy cat chow.  I keep hoping they know it's almost Christmas and maybe they think it really came out of a can.

     Since I haven't left the house again for two days, I've been listening to a lot of music.  Isn't it funny how you can listen to a song and sing along with it thinking you know the words, only to find out later that what you were singing wasn't even close.  I like Eminem.  Yes, I know he is a deep dark dude, but I like him none the less.  His songs always make me think he has been to places that most of us would hopefully never go.  He has a new song out on the radio.  It has a chorus that I was sure went something like this; "well, that's my plan".  Then I decided that wasn't right and thought it was "well, that's not fair".  I finally clicked on the lyrics tab and it is actually "well, that's nothing".  I was close, I had the "well" right. Reminds me of my brother in law singing 'America the Beautiful' with 'amber waves of grey'.....  Diary, did you know you can spell that color two different ways...grey, gray and the spell checker is none the wiser.

     Amid all the other things I needed to do today, I put up another decoration.  I really hadn't intended to, but this thing was laying on the kitchen counter and I had to do something with it.  The hanger was Mother's.  It's supposed to hold tender cuttings of plants for future potting, but since it really isn't the season to be planting, I had another idea.  I found this lovely ornament given to me by my niece, Matilda, I think it looks quite nice....
     Then Diary, it was time to cook supper.  Did you know you can bake bacon?  That is the most wonderful thing ever.  I like to wear red.  During the summer, I wear a red shirt almost everyday, until I discovered that I had obviously cooked bacon while wearing every red shirt I own.  You can cook bacon in the oven by placing the bacon strips on a cookie sheet and then putting the sheet into the oven at 325 degrees.  After about 20 minutes, you can decided how much longer the bacon needs to cook.  At 20 minutes the bacon is still pretty whimpy so for crisp bacon, it takes a little longer. Unfortunately I have used all my cookie sheets for things unrelated to baking.  They have been used for paint trays, sleds, welding projects, just to name a few, so I finally went to the store and bought some of those aluminum user-friendly-one-time-use ones. They are great!  I have used them numerous times and they go through  the dishwasher just fine.  Not being sled worthy has probably attributed to their long life as oven utensils.  

     Diary, you know those "green" skillets that are advertised as being the next best thing?  Well, not so much.  This is what mine looked like after cooking scrambled eggs....no chance of them sliding out of the skillet....
     Then I was supposed to clean my desk....that didn't happen either....


     Last but not least, I made myself a pot of coffee.  I do not like coffee but it helps to cut the Baileys.  Baileys Irish Creme is another wonderful thing.  The last time I drank it I nearly spontaneously combusted, so this may be my last entry.  I thought about making some earlier today, but Baileys and bead rolling makes for some unshapely beadiness and I thought better of it.

     Good Night Diary, until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment