Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What Would You Do?

     If you have ever bought one of these, you have played this game. 

     What would you do if you won the lottery?

     It's a great game to play and right now with two of the top lottery games totaling over $800 million, there are countless people dreaming of what they will spend it on.  Think about it, $800 million is a lot of coconuts, that's pushing towards a billion dollars.

     Do you know how much you would have to spend every day for a year to spend a billion dollars?  Over 2.7 million....every day. Now, wouldn't that be a hoot.

     Of course there would be taxes to pay, so the total would be a bit less than that, but who's counting.  We'll take care of those other details later, for now, let's just play.

     Most of us would do the most common dream, getting out of debt and helping family and friends.  I've read stories of people who have won and they said people came out of the woodwork claiming to be family or just simply asked for money.  That is probably why a lot of winners choose to remain anonymous.  I don't know if I could stay anonymous, I'd want to run up and down the street....with a bullhorn.

     So, after we have taken care of our closest peeps, what next?

     I think I would take a vacation, once a month, for a year.  Surely I could see all the places I'd like to visit in a year's time.  I would begin to scratch things off my bucket list too.  Things like wind surfing.  I think I should do that first because waiting until I'm 90 would probably be hazardous to my health.  Besides, wearing a bikini at late 50 something would look better than at 90....then again, maybe not.  But hey, I'm a multimillionaire so I could make sure no one was watching....just the handsome instructor.  He would lament about how I couldn't possibly be 50 something and I would laugh and look over the top of my designer shades and say.....oh, sorry, I kind of got off track......anyway.....

     Then I think I'd just come home.  Wouldn't it be fun to sit down the first of January and write one check each to the utility company, the phone company and whatever else needs paid for on a monthly basis and each check would cover the whole year?  A book of checks would last a life time.

     I would probably have to start making appointments to see my husband because I know what he would do.  He would have a temperature and climate controlled warehouse full of old muscle cars and he could wax on, wax off to his heart's content.  A man of simple pleasures, he is.  I would be sure to send him lots of "wish you were here" post cards though.

     It always amazes me the stories of people who have had a windfall of money come into their lives and end up broke.  I guess some people never learn.  We tend to think that people who have more money than we ourselves do, are the lucky ones.  But, if you make a million dollars a year and spend a million and a half, you're no different than the person who makes 50 thousand and spends 70.

     I'm sure I could find more things to spend the money on, but I would like to think I could make it last for future generations, to put it to good use, for the betterment of humanity.  I have to admit, since winter is not one of our favorite seasons anymore, I'd have to have a second home.  I found this really cool beach house in Florida and it only costs $28 million!  Oh, a fool and their money....but you all can come visit whenever you like!



     

No comments:

Post a Comment