Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Bad Start

     Today I did something that I rarely do.  It goes against the very nature of my grain and I scoff at others who do this on a regular basis.  I over slept.

     Waking up nearly an hour later than my usual time definitely didn't start my day out the way I had planned.  No, it left me feeling completely snarky, a.k.a, testy, irritable, short.  

     It didn't have a thing to do with the fact that I did take a sleeping pill last night.  Not a prescription brand, just an over the counter generic brand.  That is something else I rarely do, but since Arthur has decided to take up residence in some of my joints, I took one.  I have learned that taking only one is plenty.  The last time I used this sleep aid/pain reliever, I took two.  That was the recommended dosage on the bottle.  I didn't oversleep, but I walked through invisible jello until sometime after lunch. 

     Maybe it was because the outside temperature was about 12 degrees and my husband put the extra cover on me when he got up. He puts out enough heat to melt the arctic ice cap, and when he gets out of bed, I begin to do the fetal curl position in order to conserve heat.  Being on the edge of freezing also helps me to rise in the morning.  Still feeling snarky, I can perhaps place the blame on him. 

     His saving grace would be the fact that he did go ahead and make my pot of tea.  Mother would always say, "When are you going to learn to drink coffee?"  Every time she would say that I always wondered why drinking coffee was something that had to be learned and every time I answered her with, "I don't like coffee."
I'm just a tea drinker, and since he did fix mine before he left, I can't really blame him for my morning tardiness.  Besides, I'm sure he was glad to be gone before I got downstairs, he had already heard the snarkiness in my voice when I discovered what time it was.  The slamming of the bathroom door was probably a good "heads up" for him also.

     I was sure my whole day was totally ruined.  I had things to do!  Lots of things!  I had a list written of all the things I needed to get done, I had a plan!  Ah, but, "the best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry".  

     My plans certainly did.  I've decided to regroup.  There isn't  a thing I can do to get back the extra hour.  Since the first pot of tea is gone, I'm making another.  I will just start out like I was supposed to, albeit, a late start.  I did the first thing on my list, making a phone call, and I received good news.  That will make the rest of the day much better.

     Maybe it was just my time to oversleep. Maybe I needed to be reminded that I do not have super human powers and cannot run at full speed ahead without a break.  What ever the reason, the sun is shining, my list is still here patiently waiting, and I'm feeling a little less snarky now.

     

     


No comments:

Post a Comment