Thursday, February 26, 2015

Snowflakes, Dog Hair & Ben-Gay

     Word of the day on the dictionary app:  inutile (in-yoo-til)  of no use or service.

     That is what the entire left side of my body is, inutile, of no use or service.  Yes, I went to the chiropractor and the first visit left me feeling like a million bucks.  So, what did I do?  I over did it as usual.  Now I'm back to square one.  

     I knew better than to think I would get a quick fix, after all, my left side has hurt for three months.  I really did not expect it to get better overnight, but secretly, that's what I wanted.  

     I decided to put some ice on it yesterday afternoon.  Thinking I needed to lay on a firm surface, I found a small foam mat and chose the floor.  This was not one of my better ideas, getting down on the floor was an ordeal in itself and I wondered if I would have to lay there until someone found me.  Runtly, the Jack Russell Terrorist, thought it was an excellent idea, especially since I have never gotten down on his level before.  He proceeded to chew on the mat, lick the ice bag and pounce up and down on my prone position.  Then he decided to chew my hair.  He does not know how fortunate he was that I felt so bad, nobody messes with my hair. After I began to cry tears of feeling oh so sorry for myself, he settled down next to me and took a nap.  Getting up from the floor was not as bad as I had anticipated and as long as my leg and hip felt frozen the pain was not as excruciating.  

     Later in the day, we, the husband and I, took Runtly to the vet to get his shots.  If someone had told my husband a year ago that he would not only take a dog to the vet, but sit and hold said dog, he would have said something like.....well, I probably shouldn't put that in print.  Runtly does not know he is a dog and last night he got his first close up view of two other members of the canine family.  One an older, quiet, medium sized dog and the other a cross between a German shepherd and some other huge breed.  This dog was maybe a year old, huge and loud.  He barked, howled and growled and all the while its owner kept telling it to "mind his manners".  The owner did this in a voice about an octave higher than the dog so the whole experience for Runtly was traumatic.  He shivered, shook and set as far back as he could in my husband's arms.  I wanted badly to tell the owner of loud dog that he was a dog, not a human, and didn't know squat about manners.  That is when I looked down and realized I had forgot to use the lint roller before leaving the house.  My black pants were covered with white dog hair so I just bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut.  Probably one of my better decisions of the day.

     It's snowing again, three or four more inches of fresh powder.  Runtly would love to go play in the snow and I would like nothing better than to be able to open the back door and let him run.  That will not happen, the stress of worrying about him getting run over by the snow plow is not worth the risk.  Runtly has seemingly solved this problem himself by finding a box of loose paper towels in the basement and proceeding to make his own snow.

     The odor of pain relieving gel wafts up to my nostrils.  It serves a dual purpose, helps with the pain and opens the sinuses.  A win, win situation.  

     So, there it is, snowflakes, dog hair and Ben-Gay.....

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment