Monday, March 2, 2015

The Case of the Missing Billfold

     It was an open case, with two detectives scouring over the evidence.  I had lost my billfold.

     I had not been anywhere all weekend.  Since I had been to the chiropractor on the past Friday, I felt as if I had been driven over by a Mack truck on Saturday and Sunday.  I could barely hobble out the back door to watch my husband plowing through the eight inches of new snow that had arrived during the cover of darkness. So, I knew for sure, I had not left it somewhere over the past two days.

     Come Monday morning, I had an appointment scheduled for 9:30 a.m.  Not wanting to forego my unique habit of procrastination, I waited until 8:55 a.m. to gather my meager belongings and head out the door.  My billfold was no where to be found.

     I searched the house, high and low, and could not find it.  My husband, detective #2, searched the car.....twice.... and the garage....still no billfold.

     My billfold was given to me by a friend and is easy to spot.  It measures about 5x7 inches and I suppose could qualify as a clutch....not the transmission kind of clutch....the purse kind.  Its surface is covered with bright, colorful paisleys, flowers, hearts and rainbows on a black background.  Since I rarely, according to my husband, ever put anything in the same place twice, the bright colors and patterns come in handy when I'm wondering where I may have placed it.  

     I was running out of time and grabbed the checkbook.  Lucky for me, it has a matching cover, just like the billfold, so it too was easy to find.

     When I arrived back home, I began the search mission again.  Perhaps I had taken it upstairs.  I don't know why I would have done that, but then again, I don't know why I do a lot of things.  It was not there either.  

     By this time I was getting a little concerned about my missing billfold.  I came to the conclusion the best thing to do would be to retrace my steps.  Let's see.....Friday was the last time I knew I had it with me and since I can not remember what I had for lunch, on any given day, this was going to be a challenge.

     On Friday I had convinced my husband that he needed to accompany me on a small shopping excursion.  We needed a few household items and being down in the hip/back area I played upon his sympathy.  I can limp really well when need be, but this time I did not have to pretend.  We drove about thirty minutes, did our shopping and started for home.  About two miles from home, I asked my husband if he needed to use the restroom.  "No.", he told me.  

     I smiled and said "Good, because we are stopping at the grocery store before we get home."

     "Well", he said, "Maybe I do."

     Always the funny man.  

     Anyway, we grabbed a few items at the local market (it's always good to buy local, when you can), went home and put away all of our goods.

     Detective #2 asked me if I could have left it at the store.  I did not think so, they would have called me.  Where else had I been?
Then I remembered we had gone out for supper with a friend on Friday evening.  Had I left it at the restaurant?  Even if I did, this is a place we frequent quite often, wouldn't they have called?  

     As I'm pressing the call button on my phone to call the eatery, another thought began to flit through my grey matter.  When we were in the restaurant, a new customer of mine met us there to drop off her flowers.  I make jewelry and other keepsakes out of real flowers.  Yes, she had brought in this large bag of flowers.....and when I got home that evening......I put them in the refrigerator......

     Just as I heard the call ringing through, I opened the frig door and sure enough, there was my billfold, its bright colorful patterns showing through the plastic bag, on the bottom shelf.  I quickly hit the end call button.

     I guess that's what is meant by cold, hard cash, but at least we can mark this cold case "closed".

     

No comments:

Post a Comment