Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sighs, Twits & Laces

     The comic strip was true to form.  It showed a young boy pointing to a land line phone and explaining to his friend that it was a device used to locate a cell phone anywhere in the house.  I had to laugh, I had done that very thing a couple of days ago.  I think that was the first time I had touched the land line in a month......should probably give some serious thought to letting it go....sigh.

     While I was waiting on the arrival of Ms. Sassafrass, aka 4 year old granddaughter, I thought it a safe bet to say she has probably never talked on a land line phone.  She can master the apps on a cell phone and swipe the screen of an ipad with ease, but she has no idea what the buttons on the land line phone are for.  I wonder what she would think of a rotary dial?  Would she think it was dorky, or would she be just as wowed by it as I am of  new technology that is obsolete as soon as it is taken out of the box?  Then, the more I thought about it, I realized her mother, our youngest, who will turn 30 this year, has never had a land line phone......sigh.  

     With the advance of cell phone technology came the new frontier of social media.  A place to connect with family and friends without ever having to actually talk to anyone, all from the palm of your hand.  I must admit, I do enjoy Facebook and after putting the app on my husband's phone and downloading my FB account, so does he.  In fact, I think I have created a monster.....SIGH.  

     Then there is this thing called Twitter.  Another social media network that uses only 140 characters, or less, to make a statement about what ever is on ones' mind.  I think I need to learn to twit, or more correctly, to tweet.  Growing up in an era when the only thing that tweeted was a bird, I may need some help.  Also with Twitter, one needs to be clever, or creative because in order for someone to read your tweet it needs a catchy catch phrase, for lack of a better word.  The catchy catch phrase then needs to have a cross hatch symbol at its beginning before sharing the tweet.  A cross hatch symbol used to be the punctuation mark for a number and cross hatch was something one did whilst drawing or sketching.....sigh.

     Maybe Ms. Sassafrass can help me.  She is in pre-k and during our last conversation she informed me the class was on the letter 'W'. Just three more letters and she will have the alphabet and their pronunciations under her belt.  By this time next year, she will be reading.  With all the new information that is streaming into her young grey matter, I hope she learns to communicate with more than 140 characters at a time.  

     Yes, I believe she will be able to teach me a thing or two.  In the mean time, she and I can work on learning to tie her shoes.  That is one thing I know, and can still remember how to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment