Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Unproductive Busyness

     There it was again, growing like some menacing creature from a deep, dark bog.  The pile.  The pile of papers and bills on my desk.
At least the piles were in two stacks, the cans and the can'ts.  Much like the haves and the have nots.  Yes, I have paid the bill.....no, I have not.

     It seemed like a great time to clean the house. 

     Running the vacuum was first on the list.  It had been awhile.  Having a small white dog means having lots of small white dog hair.  Having a small white dog that has a small stuffed animal in the shape of a cat, that sheds more than the dog, means having lots of fuzzy fake fur.

     Runtly, the dog, is always up for a tussle with the vacuum.  Anything outside that makes noise scares him to death, but bring out the vacuum and he is one big bad dog.  After sweeping a couple of rooms with the dog trying to eat the machine, I decided to take a break and go outside.  

     I didn't need my jacket, since I had worked up a sweat and the temperatures were beginning to climb above 40 degrees, but donned my earmuffs.  It has to be above sixty before I stop wearing my earmuffs.  After a few minutes of solitude, except for the cat, I went back inside to resume the cleaning.....anything to keep from doing what I should have been doing......tackling the paperwork.

     I finished sweeping the rest of the downstairs rooms when I discovered I was still wearing my earmuffs.  No wonder the vacuum was not near as loud as it had been before.  I just figured it was getting full of fur and hair and losing some of its power.

     Next on the list, steam clean the floors.  That would keep me even farther from the desk.  The house breaking of the small white dog is getting better but let's just say we still have a way to go.  The absolute best way I have found to clean hard wood floors is on my hands and knees.  Wash with wet, dry with towel seems to be the only way to eliminate streaking.  The last time I did that I ended up with several trips to the chiropractor, so that method was out.  I brought out the steam cleaner, another equally challenging closet creature for the dog.  

     Although the directions for this machine says to use water only, I decided to add a bit of white vinegar.  It had worked great for the hands and knees method so I'm thinking it just might help with the streaking the steam mop leaves behind.  It may have helped some but the entire house smelled like I was cooking up a giant batch of pickles.  So much for going 'green' for the clean.

     By this time, I needed to start thinking about what to have for supper.  I began to busy myself in the kitchen, happy with the fact I had dodged the bullet for yet another day.

     The paper creature is still lurking, if I had a flame thrower, I'd show it who was the boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment