Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Being Bored

     So, I'm standing looking out the window, sipping a cup of tea.  The bird feeders are empty again.  The small feathered friends have been busy since the last snow fall.  I think about putting on my boots, coat, earmuffs, gloves to go out and fill them.  That's when I heard it, the dog, Runtly, "I'm bored."

     For some reason I do not find this odd.  "Play with your toys."

     "I already did."  This is true, they are strung out all over the house and it's not even close to noon.

     "Well then, take a nap."

     "I've done that too."   I turn to look at him.  He is sitting on his favorite blanket, in front of the furnace register, his beady little eyes looking at me.  "Let's go outside!"

     "It's really cold out there, you won't last five minutes."

     "Yes, but I could play with the cat.  Tigger misses me. Oh I love to play with the cat!"

     "I know, and Tigger likes to play with you too, but sometimes you get a little rough with him."

     "Rough?"

     "Yes."

     "I don't know what you mean."

     "Sometimes you are mean to Tigger.  You hurt him when you bite his paws and tail.  He doesn't really like that."

     Runtly gives this some thought before continuing, "I just can't help it.  Tigger is so soft and so furry and so fun!  I want to bite him and chew him and nibble on his little ears.....and shake him, oh yes, I really want to shake him.  Just like I do Mr. Stuffingless Fox!"

     "I know, but you can't do that either.  Tigger would not play with you anymore if you did that."

     Runtly sighs.

     "While we are having this conversation, what's with the paper towels?"

     "Paper towels?"

     "Yes."

     "I don't know what that is either."

     "It's that white thing that is in a million pieces all over the basement floor."

     "Oh! That!  Those are really fun!  Could I have one of those now?"

     "No.  What makes them so much fun?"

     "The sound!"

     "The sound?"

     "Yes!  They make the most delightful sound when I tear them into little pieces!  Can't you hear it?"

     "No."

     "That is too bad, it is a most wonderful noise.  If you get me one now, I'll let you listen!"

     "No thank you."

     "You're not much fun."

     It's my turn to sigh.  "I know, I guess I'm bored too.  One of these days it will be warmer outside and we can spend more time out there."

     "When that time comes, can I go out without the thing?"

     "What thing?"

     "That thing you put on me before we go out the door."

     "The leash?"

     "I guess that's what it is.  I do not like it.  It doesn't let me run."

     "Nice try, but no cigar."

     "What's a cigar?"

     "Never mind."

     Runtly leaves the room and before too long I hear the empty cardboard 12 pack box thumping through the kitchen.  For the moment, he is entertained.  I need to get out more.

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment