Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Dog Vocabulary

     I Googled phrases with the word 'dog' in them and was surprised at how many showed up.  The very first one was not on the list, but I thought it worth sharing.  Here we go:

Dog Gone It:  A better phrase than swearing.  Can also mean what happened to your shoe, socks, underwear, etc.

A Dog's Breakfast:  Making a mess of something.  Runtly never cares what his breakfast looks like, just as long as there is something in the bowl.  There are times my hair and this phrase go hand in hand.

Dog Eat Dog:  Times is tough.

Dog's Life:  Miserably unhappy conditions.  I thought this definition odd, Runtly's dog life is pretty good.  Perhaps being on a chain in the yard all your life better fits the phrase.

Every Dog Has Its Day:  Reversal of dog's life.  Eventually, things will get better.

Dog-Dew, Dog-Do, Dog Doo:  Yep, dog doo.

Dog's Mother:  Be very careful when using this one because......

Let Sleeping Dogs Lie:  Or carry a big stick and be ready to run like hell.

Dog Days:  Hot, sultry summer weather.  I prefer to think of it as Dog Day Afternoon....and Al Pacino.....and sultry..... and....never mind.

Putting On The Dog:  To dress fancy, or decorate for a special occasion.  This is my favorite one.  This was always said of the original Blanche, although pseudo Blanche is pretty good at it herself.  As a kid, I never knew what it meant, but it always sounded fun. 

Sick As A Dog:  Ill.  That's where I'm at.  Although Runtly isn't sick, I guess the phrase still fits.  I have so much snot between my ears that it is blocking the brain waves from coming up with something more interesting than phrases with the word 'dog' in them.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I will........

Be Like A Dog With Two Tails:  I don't reckon it gets much better than that.




No comments:

Post a Comment