Thursday, July 31, 2014

Cat Hair & Fur Balls

     This blog is about my cats.  If ever there were a time when my husband's eyes actually do glaze over, it would be when I tell him a story of recent kitty activity.  I can always see it coming, so I just begin to trail my words off slowly into the universe and change the subject.  So, if you don't want to hear about my cats, please have a nice day.

     I have two cats, the old cat, Pussy Cat, aka Queen of the Yard and Tigger, a yellow, used to be tomcat, who arrived here last Fall.
The Queen has disliked Tigger from the moment he stepped foot into her realm and has used many a tactic of cat warfare to remove him   But alas, it has been all in vain.  Tigger is still here and has learned to give her a wide berth.

     He has actually been good for her as she has gotten more exercise from chasing him than she has had in years.  One day, while Tigger was sitting at the far end of the pool deck, minding his own business and watching the birds in the hedge, the Queen rose from her throne, walked the entire length of the deck and knocked him off the edge.  She then turned around, walked back to her throne and resumed her original position.

    There is a difference between fur and hair.  The Queen is a dark brown and black tabby mix with fur, much like that of a rabbit, with a thick undercoat.  Tigger just has good ole cat hair.  With the arrival of warm weather they are both shedding.....PROFUSELY. One can literally watch the fur/hair riding the thermals if there is a good breeze.  

     I have been brushing the Queen each morning.  She enjoys this immensely and always casts a smug look Tigger's direction during the grooming session.  The other day, while I was cleaning fur out of the brush, I let the large rodent shaped ball of fur float away with the wind.   I figured some bird might find it useful for its nest.

     The next day, the large rodent shaped ball of fur was all over the door mat outside the back door.  Tigger had retrieved it and then proceeded to shred it  to the point that the plastic astro-turf mat looked more like a wool carpet.  

     I guess that is the only way he can get close to her without suffering her wrath or maybe that's his way of getting revenge.

     Whatever his motive, I shall now place the large fur balls in a bag and dispose of them in the trash.  There's nothing better than to be greeted, first thing in the morning, by a freshly hacked up brown and black fur ball, out of a yellow cat.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment