Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Grand (ma) Fun

     This week, I have a new job.  Transporting my, going on 13, grandson to and from football camp.

     This simple endeavor tossed me back in time when I would drive a bus fifteen miles to pick up a load of high school boys from football practice.  Oh my, did they stink!  They took great delight when I would have to hang my head out the window for some fresh air.  Lucky for me, this weeks' temps are cooler than normal so I can ride with the window down.

     He arrived at the house this morning before 7:30.  He is an unusual morning person because it is possible to get a bit of conversation out of him at that time of day.  I don't expect much, receiving two to three word responses from any member of the male species is considered nearly as valuable as gold.

     Before leaving on our 8 mile journey, we had a brief discussion on parkour, the sport that requires a person to get from point A to point B using their body and surroundings to propel themselves forward.  

     I told him I always wanted to do that.  He was impressed and asked me if I had seen any of the 'fails', the new word for mishaps, associated with the sport.   I assured him I had but that I would choose objects lower to the ground and not try to run up any walls. 
End of conversation.

     We stopped at a new convenience store so he could purchase a drink and I commented that I had never been in it yet.  I didn't accompany him in, that would have been way uncool, and received a five word description of the inside.  I had scored big with that one.

     We drove the remaining few blocks in silence and as I pulled the car to a stop, parallel to his coach and two other young boys, I spoke in my best grandma voice and said, "Want me to give you a hug?"

     With the 'no' that he gave me was also the look of being completely mortified.  I chuckled about that all the way home.

      

     

     

     

     

1 comment:

  1. LOL...welcome to our world on the conversation front with him. His mother is quite found of the one word text messages we get back from him. Great bonding time for the both of you....;)

    ReplyDelete