Monday, August 4, 2014

Love What You're Doing

     Most of us have heard the term "starving artist".  It applies to people who use their passion for art, whether it be painting, sculpting or whatever, as their occupation.  One problem most artists have is a lull in their creativity.  A blank spot that is filled with zero inspiration.  I experience that from time to time, but mostly I'm bombarded to the point that I get overwhelmed and then begin to spin in circles.  Feels like I'm doing something, but in truth, I'm not getting anywhere.

     So many of us fall into the rut of chasing the 8-5.  Most don't have a choice.  There are bills to pay, kids to feed, and keeping a roof over our heads is a necessity.  Those are just the basics too, life can throw us a curve ball at any time and those are never cheap.

     Stepping out of the norm can be frightening.  It can take you back to the starting point with no free pass.  It can put you in the bottom of the barrel in a heartbeat.

     The first one I made was for a business associate.  The piece has become a popular item.  It has had many "sisters".  Recently I was contacted to see if I could make one into a Christmas tree topper.  Christmas seems like a long way off, but the pages of the calendar are falling off like leaves on a tree.  The middle of this new year has already passed. 

     It was a welcomed challenge and she turned out better than I had anticipated.  The Angel Sun Catcher turned Angel Tree Topper:
     There is a great sense of accomplishment in doing what you love as an occupation.  It might not make you rich in monetary forms, but you will never know if you don't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment