Monday, August 25, 2014

If Only For A Day

     Recently the item that keeps me connected to life on the planet has developed a major issue and seems to be on its last leg.  My cell phone has some kind of quirk that causes it to get hot.  When this happens, and it makes me think it might just spontaneously combust, it does not work properly and I have to remove the battery and allow it to cool off.

     I did discover that leaving the back off the phone helps to keep it cooler, so that is the route I'm taking to combat the problem.  This has caused me to do something that I have not done in years..... not carry my phone in my back pocket.

     Much to the disdain of my adult children, I have always carried my phone in the back right pocket of my jeans.  Having a couple of pairs of favorite jeans, and who doesn't, means that the back right pockets of said favorite apparel have been totally obliterated.  

     I learned early on, while being in the student transportation business, that carrying a purse was a lost cause.  There is no good place to put one in a school bus and trying to keep it on the floor next to the drivers seat was equivalent to putting a sign on it that read, "step on me".  Which would be followed by thirty or so children doing just that.

     Getting a new phone is not an option.  My cell service provider tells me that I am not due for a new phone until next year.  I think they are wrong, but do not have the time to argue with them about this matter.  So, I have been trying to adjust to not being connected at the hip with the rest of the world.

     During this transition period, I have noticed something amazing.  The world has not stopped spinning and life goes on as usual.  

     Right at this minute, I'm not even sure I know where my cell phone is and I'm good with that.  It is a most liberating feeling to go outdoors without it too.  It's actually possible to get lost in thought and nature without the interruption of  a vibration from the gluteus maximus area. 

     I didn't think it was possible to be unconnected for such long periods of time.  But it is possible and it's kinda nice, maybe we should all try it, if only for a day.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment