Thursday, August 28, 2014

Just When I Thought.....

     Just when I thought I had fallen into a routine, school started.

     Ms. Sassafrass is here two or three mornings a week now.  That throws the entire schedule off kilter.

     I really don't mind, she is a lot of fun.  It amazes me how much she has changed in a few months time.  Last school year I needed to start lunch at 11:30 just to get her to school, pre-K, on time by 12:20.  Now she can wolf down her lunch in less than ten minutes.

     She's only four years old.  I thought about way back in the day, when I was only four, school was the furthest thing from my mind.

     Mother and Dad moved to town when I was two.  Lela was already in high school and Blanche was soon to follow.  I don't remember when Mother went to work, maybe she worked when I was that age, but I do remember my sitter.

     She was an old lady and her name was Lavice, pronounced with a long i and a long e at the end.  Being a late in life child and having no living grandparents, I called her Gramma.

     She was devoutly religious, but not of the same congregation we attended,  and I can remember having religious doctrine arguments with her when I was still very young.  I'm not sure where that came from, Mother took me to church, but not near as regularly as Lavice.  Perhaps I still remembered from whence I had come and thought she needed to be straightened out on a few things.

      I remember, she made a mean tuna casserole and I loved tuna casserole.  One time, just as she was getting ready to put a large dish of the tasty stuff in the oven, she realized she had forgotten to add the mushroom soup.  Rather than scoop it all out of the dish and start over, she spooned the soup over the top, spread it out and put it back in the oven.  It was some of the best tuna casserole we ever shared.

     I doubt that I will be slathering mushroom soup on anything for Ms. Sassafrass any time soon.  Just the looks of it would be enough for her to turn her nose up in the air.  But, maybe we can make some memories with a couple of packs of ramen noodles and a hot dog.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment