Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hats Off To This Lady!

     A good rule of thumb is to be grateful.  Not just in the morning or late at night, but to be grateful all day and for everything.

     Today I am most grateful for a woman by the name of Josephine Garis Cochrane.  I did not know her personally, she was born in 1839, but Josephine literally changed the world.

     She was a wealthy woman and hosted many a dinner party.  She did not wash dishes because she had lots of servants and staff to do that sort of thing for her.  But, she began to grow weary of  the chips her fine china was sustaining due to all the hand washing.  Her remedy for this?  She built an automatic dishwasher!

     Yes indeed, my hat goes off to Josephine Garis Cochrane because if there is one thing I do not like to do, it's hand wash dishes.  

     I remember a time, many years ago, when my good friend got her first dishwasher.  Boy, was my nose out of joint over that. Since I could not share in the joy my friend was experiencing with her new appliance, I later learned the meaning of Karma.  When I finally acquired my own dishwasher, I have since eaten a lot of crow.  Fortunately, now, when the feathered beast raises its ugly head, I toss the whole bird in the dishwasher and hit the pot scrubber button.

     Having a dishwasher has taught me some dishwasher etiquette that I have come to live by.  There are at least three rules that I follow:
     1.  If it doesn't fit in the dishwasher, don't use it.
     2.  If it is the only thing that will fit in the dishwasher at one time, that's OK.
     3.  If it doesn't come clean the first time, leave it in there, it will eventually.

     Thank you Josephine, you were my kind of gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment