Monday, August 18, 2014

The Edge of Cool

     Being cool is most likely a state of mind.

     The misty ethereal plane of coolness starts to be visible somewhere in the preteen years.  

     Its beginning is like stepping onto an endless sheet of ice.  At first it's hard to get the feel of it.  There are a lot of awkward moments, but after some practice, it becomes smooth sailing, second nature, something done on auto pilot, like breathing.

     Coolness shows itself in the simplest of forms.  To do otherwise would be, well...... uncool.  A nod in one's direction.  A slight swagger, a certain way a hat is worn or striking a subtle pose.

     Being cool is endless, or so I thought.  

     Recently I had the opportunity to deliver my oldest cool grandson to football camp.  I wore my cool shades, I tuned the radio into some cool music, turned it up loud, rolled the window down.  I kept the conversation at a minimum.

     On the second day I was instructed to let him out of the car fifty yards from where his cool group of friends were standing.  I'd fallen off the edge of cool.

     But, being cool is most likely a state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment