Friday, August 29, 2014

We Like It Here

     While lounging in bed, the television program I was watching was about living on the planet Mars.

      I assumed my husband, who does not share my sci-fy interests, was sleeping.

     Colonizing Mars presents many challenges.  The first of those is probably the fact that it is a one way trip.  The scientist think they have figured out how to get there, but there isn't enough luggage room to take the equipment needed to come home.  Yep, there is no coming back from the Red Planet, at least not in the first few brave souls' lifetime.  I guess the Eagles' song, Hotel California, would be the new theme song for Mars.  
"Relax", said the night man.
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave."

     Another problem was the living quarters.  They're small, not much bigger than a walk-in closet.  They make the new "tiny home movement" homes look like mansions.  They did appear to be connected to each other via a large tube.  I guess that is for crawling over to the neighbors' pod without having to put on all the protective gear needed to go outside......without dying.....instantly.
That probably limits the community cook-outs.  

     They would need a doctor to make the decision to never again step foot on Earth, or see any family members, because if there is medical attention needed, transmission time between Mars and Earth takes twenty minutes.  That would sure take care of phone calls.  If I had to wait twenty minutes for a response from whom I was speaking to, I'd either forget what we were discussing, or who I had called in the first place.

     Then there is the problem of water.  Ya gots to have water and packing enough bottled water for the trip isn't an option.  The scientist think they have devised a way to extract water from the soil, or sand, or whatever it is up there.  This is quite a process and the yield is small.  Not only is it small, its main purpose would be for drinking, taking a shower could only happen once every two years.

     It was at that time of the program my husband said, "Forget that!"  

     Yeah, I think we'll just stay home.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment