Monday, April 21, 2014

Time to Turn

     I've been spinning in circles for so long I'm surprised I haven't churned myself into a mound of butter.

     There's a lot of stuff on my plate.  Stuff that needs to be taken care of.  I've been pushing most of it to the other side of the plate, much like a child who doesn't like to eat peas.  If you push long enough, maybe they will fall off the side and no one will notice.

     Unfortunately "out of sight, out of mind" hasn't been the best policy to work with.  It's still there, growing in an ever larger pile of peas, carrots and an occasional dreaded lima bean.

     They are things that need my attention.  Bills that need to be paid, a website that needs to be updated, orders that are piling up, which is a good thing, and a house that desperately needs a thorough cleaning.  

     All the new year's resolutions are just hanging in the air, floating around like feathers in the breeze.  I planned many changes and it is closing in on the beginning of the fifth month of the year, and so far, nothing much has changed.  

     I'd like to pass the blame onto someone else, but I noticed that someone else packed their bags and left the building.  There is no one to blame but myself.

     I woke earlier than usual this morning, 4:00 instead of 4:30.  As I stood outside on the deck, in the wee hours before dawn, I knew I had to make some changes.  I knew things were not going to just take care of themselves without my input.  

     Last week brought about some unpleasantness, but maybe it was for the best.  Maybe it was a kick-start for me to see beyond the horizon.  Maybe it was a good thing to have the rug yanked out from beneath my feet to show me I've got more important things to attend to.  I've always tried to see the best in people, even to a fault.

     This week shall be a turning point.  I will make my list and then prioritize it.  I shall set a goal to accomplish the list by the end of the week.  There will be no more procrastination, no more wandering in circles, no more being busy but not productive.

     For me, this will be a daunting task, sometimes I just like to spin, but it has to be done and it has to be done now.  I will schedule my day and I will write, and I will work, and I will tell myself that it does no good to worry about things.  I will remind myself too, that in one hundred years, none of these worries will matter.

     It's not about what other people do, it's about what I do, with my life and the time that has been allotted to me.  It's time to turn in a new direction, may I use that time well.

     May you also use your time to live your life to the absolute fullest it can be.  Go ahead, be brave, try not to worry, because it really could be much worse.  Do the important things first and put 'cleaning the house' last on the list.

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment