Monday, April 14, 2014

Sky Lights

     This happened many years ago, back in the mid 70's.  I was a teenager living in a world of huge bell-bottomed jeans and long hair parted down the middle.  There are lots of things I don't recall about my youth and some that I would just as soon not recall, but this story isn't one of them.  When I think about it, it's as if it just happened yesterday.  I've never added to it, or taken away from what I experienced.

     I do not remember exactly the time of year, but the weather was warm enough for cruising with the windows down.

     When you grow up in a small rural community, cruising the gravel roads is a great way to pass the time.  It was some where between 9 o'clock and 10 one evening when a friend and I were doing just that, cruising the country roads.  We were only about a quarter mile from town, heading west when I noticed we kept going slower.  I asked my friend what was going on and he asked me if I could see "that light".  I leaned over to look out his window and had to ask, "What light?", because there were stars in the sky and I had no idea what he was referring to.

     He slowed to a stop and pointed to what had caught his eye.  I could see it then, just a small white light, and we used the top wire of a barbed wire fence as a point of origin to see if it was really moving.  It was, but it looked to be several miles away and as far as I was concerned, it could have easily been a small plane.  

     Maybe growing up in the sticks causes young people to create their own excitement.  It was a known fact, my friend could be a tad bit windy on occasion, but he decided we needed to tell the town law about our finding.

     Officer Roy was one of the good guys.  He could be gruff when it was necessary, but he always had time to visit.  He would  listen to our tales of mischief and raise one eyebrow if he thought we had maybe crossed the fine line we so enjoyed walking.  He probably had many more stories to tell, of the things the town youth confided in him, than he actually had fighting crime.

     We were only a short distance from the main highway that led into town and we roared up to the stop sign, hung a right and headed towards the city limits.  As we were picking up speed, my friend asked me if I could still see the light.  I turned around to look through the back glass of his car.

     "Yes!  It's right behind us!", and it was.

     My friend thought I was joking, but I was as serious as he had been when he first spotted it.  It was following us and it was ten times the size it had been just a few seconds before.

     There was a factory with a large parking lot just up the road and we pulled in there and stopped, so he could see for himself that I wasn't exaggerating.  When we did this, the light stopped at exactly the same time.  We had turned to the right and stopped and the light swung to the left, stopped and hovered over a corn field directly parallel to us.  We sat there looking at it and it sat there, presumably looking at us.   

     "What the ....... is that?", my friend asked.  All I could say was I didn't know.  

     We raced out of the parking lot and again turned right, crossed the railroad tracks that marked the edge of town and headed for Officer Roy.  The light followed, still running parallel with us.  

     The local eatery was just ahead and although it was closed for the evening, there were several of our friends sitting on their cars in the parking lot.  We literally slid sideways into the parking lot.  My friend jumped out of the car, pointed to the west and screamed, "Do you see that!", and just like flipping a switch, the light disappeared. We never made it to Officer Roy.

     I have no idea what we saw that night, but "it" seemed to know what we were going to do, before we did.  

     Just last week, not to many miles from this area, there was another UFO sighting.  It was witnessed by several people and as I read the article I was surprised that not one of the witnesses wanted their names used.  One person stated they were so frightened, they went back into the house and hid.  What they all had seen was a triangular shaped object of lights with a smaller spinning circle of lights beneath it.

     While driving in the wee morning hours, delivering papers, I try to scan the sky for anything unusual.  Since I'm also scanning the road for potholes big enough to swallow my car, this has proved to be uneventful in my search for the elusive UFO.  If I had been fortunate enough to see what those people saw last week,  I'd be wearing a blazing lime green tee shirt emblazoned with "ASK ME ABOUT MY UFO SIGHTING" and carrying a sign proclaiming the same thing.  

     I may never know what "it" was, those many years ago, but I'm still looking to find out.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment