Tuesday, April 15, 2014

From Birthdays to Strawberries

     When we are young, birthdays are always special.  As we get older, they can either be a milestone or simply just another day.  I've always enjoyed reading the birthday column, of celebrities and persons of interest, in the daily paper.  I share a birthday with Pink and my oldest daughter shares one with Bill Cosby.  I always get amused at the young rapper's names like "Da Dog".  That will really sound cool when you're 90.  I've considered giving up reading the column for that reason alone, most of the people I recognize are fifty and up and I usually have no idea who the younger ones are. Of course the only alternative to not having another birthday is, well, I think you know the answer to that, but how the heck did Roy Clark get to be 81?

     Ms. Sassafrass and I took Tigger the cat to the vet, again, yesterday.  It was time to have him neutered.  The loading of the cat in the box was not nearly as exciting as the first time, but Sassafrass assured me "Tigger weally doesn't like to go to the vet." and that was true.  We placed Tigger, box and all, in a cage and she noticed a small dog in the neighboring cage.  She informed all of us that the dog looked like her Auntie's dog, Josie, and she was right. 

     The staff told me that I would be able to pick Tigger up later in the day, or I could have the option of leaving him overnight.  I chose the first option and retrieved him around 5:30.  He was stoned out of his gourd, so was the little dog.  Good times at the vet clinic.  Tigger's  pupils were as big as his eyeballs and he rocked back and forth like a parrot on a perch.  I covered his box with a blanket, to try to keep him in darkness, but I could still hear him knocking his head off the sides of the box.  If there is a next time, I will choose to leave him overnight.  He's much better this morning, although he is walking a bit funny and he's giving me a wide berth. That's OK, little yellow buddy, I don't blame ya.

     It snowed here yesterday afternoon.  Huge big fluffy flakes of snow.  Since it is the middle of April, I decided it really wasn't snow, but mushroom seeds falling to the earth.  It is the season for those tasty morels to start popping out of the ground.  I wish I had some place I could go to hunt them, a trek through the woods would be fun.  With the bobcat population on the rise, not to mention the cougars spotted on some local game cams,  and a possible recent wolf sighting, I believe I will just heap wonderful praises on whoever braves the wilderness for the elusive morel...........maybe they will share.

     During the wee morning hours there was a lunar eclipse.  I missed it.  It was to be the rare "Blood Moon" and I've seen several posts this morning on Facebook from people who witnessed it. Years ago I would have drug my children out of bed to see it.  They have fond memories of the time I drug them out to watch the meteorite shower, of which we saw none.   If it wasn't for the fact that my alarm rings at 4:30 a.m. I would have gotten up at 2, but I know had I done that, it would have been a long day.  Going back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night is a rare occurrence in itself.  Hopefully, someone got a good picture that I can admire later on. 

     I'm growing impatient with the growing of the strawberries in the hanging-bottle-tower-strawberry fabrication.  They haven't done a thing yet and look very lifeless.  I searched online for the answer to "how long does it take a strawberry plant to sprout" and the answer was, it depended on what king of strawberry it was.  Well I don't know!  It said strawberry on the package, nothing more, nothing less.  It's still hanging in the kitchen and getting plenty of sun and water, so time will tell.  The plan for this swinging garden is to hang it outside, on the deck, to witness the birth of mouth watering strawberries, in the hopefully near future.  Since it was 22 degrees this morning, it's a good thing it is still inside, otherwise I would have had frozen lifeless strawberry plants in the hanging-bottle-tower strawberry-fabrication. 

     Time to head to the studio.  I'm working on a new idea for turning real flowers into lasting keepsakes.  So far, it's coming along quite nicely, which is a much better way to put "I haven't opened up the window and shucked the entire project out in the yard."


No comments:

Post a Comment