Saturday, June 21, 2014

It's A Beautiful Morning

It's a beautiful morning,
Think I'll go outside for a while
And just smile......

The Rascals, (The Young Rascals) 1968

     It is a beautiful morning.  The dawning of a brand new day.  The only time we have.  Now.  Right now, not yesterday or later on today or sometime tomorrow, now.  

     Something happened yesterday that changed my whole perspective.  Yesterday was a dark day for me, as have been many lately, but yesterday felt like the bottom of the barrel....with a lid on it.

     What happened was not anything most people would notice.  It wasn't grandeur, carried no pomp and circumstance such as what you might expect with the arrival of royalty, but that is how it made me feel.  Royal.

     It was just a few kind words, directed at me.  As I read them, I also read between the lines.  The words I saw in that empty space where, "Yes you can".

     That was the miracle I had prayed for earlier in the week.  It wasn't exactly what I had envision as my answer, but then, it rarely is.  But, it was enough to know that, yes, I can.

     I rose early this morning and I did go outside and I did smile.  The morning air was cool and I was grateful that I had the opportunity to just be in the moment.  

     Our youngest granddaughter, Ms. Sassafrass, turns 4 today.  I thought about the call I received, four years and one half day ago. They were going to induce labor the next morning.  We had been home 2 days from a 13 day road trip.  We had just been at our daughter's house, twelve hours away, and although we knew this was coming, I thought for sure I had at least another week.  Having children makes us learn something really quick, always have a plan B.  

     I told them I would leave first thing in the morning.  Two hours later, I jumped in my truck and pulled an all nighter.  When I walked into the hospital room, twelve hours later, I gave new meaning to the words 'rode hard and put away wet'.  I shall not do that again.

     Ms. Sassafrass and her family moved back before she was a year old and we have been blessed with watching her grow.  She is no longer a baby, no, not at four years old.  She can flip her long blonde locks with the back of her hand, place her hands on her hips and utter "Serwiously?" with the best of them.

     She needs no toys, like most children, she has more than she knows what to do with.  So, I'm going to craft this tiny princess a crown. 

     It is a beautiful morning, get outside, don't forget to smile and try your best to make someone you meet today feel royal too.

No comments:

Post a Comment