Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Get Busy

     It was 59 degrees when I rose this morning.  Quite cool for the month of June and it was raining.  Again.  It's done a lot of that lately.  There is many a swimming pool lying dormant, the water much too cold, even for the bravest of young boys.  The flower pot downspout is working perfectly.  Who ever thought watching rain pour from a downspout would be entertaining?

     I can smell the bacon wafting in from the kitchen.  Oh, how I do love bacon.  Due to some nasty swine disease, our small town grocery store's meat department is vacant of this tasty pork belly product.  It's not that they can't get it, the cost to the consumer would be too high.  Ever since the birth of the big box stores, the small town businesses have suffered and nearly disappeared.  Competition is a healthy thing, but it's impossible to compete with an outfit that can buy and store a hundred items when the small guy can only buy and store a dozen or two.  Most people don't understand that.  When I learned of the coming bacon shortage, I bought several packages and froze them.  I'm on my last package and I did give some thought about putting it on Ebay, just for fun. Instead, I cut it in half and only use one slice, which makes two short slices, and savor every bite.

     I fixed our usual breakfast.  Egg sandwiches.  As I cracked the hormone fed chicken eggs into a bowl, I tried not to think about that.  I'm old enough to know that when the first two eggs cracked out of the carton have double yolks, that ain't normal.  The cats get the yolks and they don't seem to complain.  So far, they have not grown any extra extremities due to the additives and my husband benefits from having a bit less fat in his diet.  Unless, of course, there is gravy close by.  When he has a chance at some gravy, which in his mind, goes with anything, my attempt at monitoring his fat intake is a lost cause.

     Even though there is rain in the forecast for most of the day, there is much to do.  That is a good thing because this kind of day can sometimes make one feel like crawling back under the covers, waiting on the sunshine.  I wonder just how much time we spend on waiting for the perfect opportunity?  Such a waste of a precious commodity.

     Time for action.  Fight or flight?  I'm feeling a little feisty, think I will fight and put the plan in motion.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment