Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Did You Know?

     It's good to have a little conservation knowledge.  Taking care of the precious top soil so it doesn't all end up in New Orleans.  

     I've known about it for a long time but something must have slipped my mind.  Just yesterday I was admiring my garden pond.  It has two separate pools and one gets shade during most of the day.  I cleaned them out earlier this Spring, as soon as the weather allowed, and had them looking pretty good.  The shaded pool was absolutely perfect.  The water was clear and sparkling.  The small fountain in the middle, that has a small homemade filter attached, hadn't been cleaned for a couple of weeks.  That's the goal with garden ponds, not having to clean the filter much, or not at all. That means they are sustaining themselves, like nature intended.

     A couple of weeks ago I transplanted some perennials on one side of the pond.  I thought this a good idea plus a money saving option, rather than to buy annuals for the border.

     During the night, a strong storm system moved through our area. The rain gauge, which has a crack in it so it may not be an accurate account, had over 2 inches in it.  That was good, we really did need some rain.  Maybe not a gully washer, but the pollen and the cotton wood tree fluff needed watered down.

     As I took a quick stroll between the rain drops this morning, I noticed my garden pond.  The perfectly clear sparkling small pool now looks like a mud bath.  Guess I should have put some mulch around those perennials.

     Since I've been up before dawn, I perused Facebook for awhile. There I learned how to fold a fitted sheet.  It was a short video about how a folded fitted sheet takes up much less room than a rolled up wadded in a ball fitted sheet.  This reminded me of something that I believe Ann Landers said many years ago.  She suggested that women who didn't take the time to iron their sheets were lazy.  If memory serves me correctly, I think she got a whole lot of flack over that comment.  I shall continue to roll my fitted sheets,  just because I can.  It would be nice though if it were possible to buy a fitted sheet that wasn't made for a mattress that is two foot thick.    

     Another article on Facebook was about body alterations.  It showed eight different things the human race has done over the ions to enhance the physical human body.  There was foot binding, and the ideal length of a foot was 3 inches.  Foot binding has pretty much disappeared in the 20th century and to that I say good riddance.  What were they thinking?  Lip plates were another form of enhancement.  I'm not sure how one eats with a lip plate protruding from the front of one's face.  I'd knock myself out just trying to chew.  Neck stretching was what really caught my attention.  I always did want a longer neck so the cute dangle earrings didn't sit on my shoulders, but I'm afraid it's too late to give it a try.  Someone should have come up with leg stretching, I would have been first in line for that one.

     I made a recent discovery that may be the next best thing since sliced bread.  Maybe you already know this, but I it was new news to me.  I was listening to a message on my cell phone voice mail.  It was a prospective client and I couldn't understand their name.  I kept hitting the repeat button to listen again and after about the fourth time, something amazing happened.  The message slowed down!  It wasn't like super slow motion where the voice sounds like "wwwwhhhhhhaaaaatttttt dddddiiiiidddddd yyyyooooouuuuu ssssaaaayyyyy?"  But it was slow enough that I was able to understand the name.  Pretty cool stuff there.

     Did you already know that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment