Monday, March 10, 2014

Pot Pie Monday

     The time changed this past weekend.  We are back on daylight savings time.  This always confuses me.  I understand the concept of having more daylight hours, but I was hoping for more early morning light.  Since we leaped forward one hour, it "dawned" on me that it does not get lighter at 4:30 a.m., that would be because, in actuality, it's 3:30 a.m.  

     No, it's black as pitch outside and that has me wondering about riding a bicycle at that time of day.  It's not the traffic I stew about but I will definitely have to get a headlight and maybe a bell, I'm sure folks would love to hear that at 5 something in the morning.

     This morning the temperature was 42 degrees with a forecast high of 67.  That is quite a change and while I was going door to door in the early morning darkness I kept hearing sounds I hadn't noticed before. Wind chimes.  At every stop I could hear the gentle tinkling notes carrying in the wind.  It was a great sound, to me anyway, I love wind chimes.  I have several in my backyard and enjoy the tunes they play.  My husband does not share my love of yard-art music and that is why I usually find the clapper to my biggest, and most favorite, wind chime looped above its steel pipe organ tubes.  It has the purest sound and its musical tones resonate for the longest time.  Perhaps I will hang it higher this year so he will have to get a ladder to silence it.  I received a new wind chime over the holidays and it's a beauty.  It's made from the bottoms of  molten wine bottles in an array of colors.  I can hardly wait to see the delight in his eyes when it plays its own windiness melody.

     I was thinking this morning that I sure hope this week fares better than last week.  I don't know what kind of alignment the universe was in, but it must have been the age of time for things to go amuck.  I did manage not to set anything on fire, but at the rate things were breaking down, I was hoping I wasn't next on the list. The first thing to shoot craps was the fuel pump on the husbands' work vehicle, those aren't cheap.  Next, the springs on the garage door broke, those aren't cheap either.  One day later some kind of module thingy in the distributor on my husbands' regular mode of transportation went haywire and no one on the face of the planet had said thingy in stock to replace it.  Two days after that, the computer monitor made a funny, fuzzy static noise and gave up the ghost.  

     Remember those old refrigerators that had one big door, with a latch handle and a tiny freezer compartment on the inside?  I'm willing to bet someone has one in their garage, to keep the brewsky's cold, and it's still running like a charm.  Things don't last like they used to and I've discovered that a new appliance has about a 10 year window of life, if you're lucky.  The powers that be encouraged us to get rid of the old energy sucking refrigerators because they were wasting valuable kilowatts and dollars and like sheep, we followed their advice.  Since I love a good conspiracy theory, consider this.  Nowadays a new refrigerator costs more than I paid for the car I'm currently driving.  If you factor in a ten year life span and how much more it will cost to replace it in ten years, who saved money and who made money?  I'm also willing to bet a dime to a donut that the light bulb in the old frig was still working when we hauled it out to the curb.  Don't get me started on light bulbs.

     When I get back home after prowling the streets in the early morning darkness, I grab a cup of hot tea, go back outdoors, stand on the deck, look at the sky and just listen.  It's usually very quiet and peaceful and gives me a moment of solitude to reflect.  The birds were chirping this morning, another sound that has been diminished over these long winter months and it was good to hear their waking twitters.    The sky was full of twinkling stars  and I could see a bright circle of light shining on the ceiling of some cloud cover to the southeast.   The lights of St. Louis.  By car and depending on where your final destination is, St. Louis, Missouri is a good two hour drive from here.  As the crow flies, it's not quite a hundred miles and when all the atmospheric conditions are right, you can see the city lights in the sky.  Beg to differ?  Get your map out and look first.  

     My best friend from junior high lives there and has already posted on Facebook that she is wearing shorts today.  It's been a long winter and she has obviously been inside way too long.

     

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment