Monday, March 17, 2014

Complete Denial

     According to a recent article, hip and knee replacement surgery is on the rise.  The most common cause for needing this kind of surgery was attributed to age.  The older we get, the more the parts wear out.  Another major factor was obesity, as the added weight puts more stress on the joints.  Many recipients of hip and knee replacement commented that they felt better than they had in years and of course that has led to the popularity of the surgery.  It seemed though, that it was a no-win situation for the baby boomer generation, the more we exercise to keep the weight off, the faster we wear out the joints.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

     Over the weekend I made a decision that was not in my best interest.  I knew what the consequences would be before I made it, but chose to ignore them.  

     My three grandsons, plus one of their friends, spent the day and night at our house.  Since Saturday was a lovely day weather wise, the majority of it was spent outside.  We have a very large piece of concrete in our backyard, about half the size of a full court gymnasium and of course, there is a basketball goal set on one side. Yes, I played basketball with three boys ages 6 to 14.  I do not recall how long it has been since I even picked up a basketball, but I proceeded to play like I had done so on a regular basis.

     I ran, I dribbled, I made free throw shots.  I waved my arms like a goose in flight, trying to block shots.  I even accomplished a lay-up, dazzling my young opponents.  Their friend thought I was just about the coolest grandma on the block.  His mother later confirmed this by telling me he thought I was awesome.
     
     Later, after the game, I asked this fabulous foursome if they would like to join me in the morning and help with my paper route. They were all for it but, as the evening wore on and they made plans of staying up as late as possible, they changed their mind, opting out of a 4:45 a.m. wake up call.  I didn't blame them, I wasn't looking forward to it myself.

    Years ago, my sisters, Lela and Blanche gave me a birthday card.  Since we herald from an odd sense of humor bunch, the card showed a cartoon woman wearing a bra that was obviously too small.  There was lots of  "flesh" hanging out all over the place but the woman was smiling ear to ear.  The caption on the card went something like this:  "Lucy still wears her lucky bra.....that she has had since she was 16." 

     Lela and Blanche were right back then, and still right today, I'm in complete denial when it comes to my age.  I was reminded of this blissful idioticiness when my feet hit the floor the following morning.  Awesomeness carries a heavy price tag.  My feet were so sore and stiff I could barely do the shuffle to get to the bathroom and I could hardly raise my arm to brush my teeth.  Maneuvering the staircase was a treat unto itself.

     My motley crew of ball players rose about an hour after I returned home.  I fixed them a huge breakfast, but never let on that the simple task of flipping eggs was about more than I could bear.  They were oblivious to my pain and I certainly wasn't going to admit that I may had over-done it.

     Whoever "they" are always says it's the second day, after a strenuous workout, that the muscle pain really sets in.  Well, they were wrong this time.  I don't feel too bad today, but I may shuffle down to the wood shop and cut a couple pieces of board to strap on the bottom of my feet.  If I can keep my feet from flexing the rest of the day, I just might make it through.  

     Here are a couple of pictures of the "fab four" during breakfast.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, four young boys in the house could be a priceless blog.  From left to right, grandsons ages 12, 6, 9 and the Friend.




      

     

No comments:

Post a Comment