Thursday, February 27, 2014

Highlights of the News

     Another day of blankness.  There's lots of stuff racing around inside of my skull, but I keep waiting for one of those ideas to fall out and say "Me! Me!".  It's like watching the lottery number balls swirl around inside of the cage, just waiting for the winning numbers to fall down the chute.  My chute must be clogged.  

     That leaves me to the daily newspaper.  Let's see what's in there that might be blog worthy.

     There's an article about older men, fathering children, being responsible for a whole heap of psychological problems.  According to the research, any guy over the age of 24, who decides to father a child, increases the risk of said child to have autism, ADD, ADHD, and/or being bipolar.  Well, that pretty much sums up what's wrong with me.  I'm a freaking nut case and it's all Dad's fault.  He was 42 when I was born, what was he thinking?  That is probably exactly what he was thinking!  It's good to know I can blame it on someone else.  Society never wants to be held responsible.  

     This prime cut piece of newsworthy information will undoubtedly change the course of human history.  I can envision the coffee shop "liars" tables and the local watering holes' full of men ages 25 and up lamenting about their mutant sperm.

     The great state of Illinois wants to make it legal to shoot bobcats.  They figure there are about 3000 of them in the southern part of the state, with more scattered through out and the legislation needs to control them.  I'm not sure how that works, they can't control their spending, and herding cats is an impossible feat.  I don't know what particular threat these felines are to us, as I have not yet heard of any man eating bobcats.  They aren't eating little piglets because there are no little piglets running around, they are all in confinement buildings.   Maybe they are taking a toll on the cattle population by scarfing on the calves.  Chances are they have dined on someone's small dog or cat and that poor critter belonged to one of the legislators.

     We have bobcats in our area now.  I haven't seen one, but many people have.  I hope when I do get to see one it's not all bloodied up in the back of some guys truck, parked at the coffee shop or watering hole, while he's in the establishment, talking about his sperm.

     Here's a good one.  The big soda producers and snack makers are teaching the nations' dietitians.  These are the same dietitians who are teaching us about obesity.  If ever there was a perfect example of an oxymoron, this would be it.  The old adage of the pot calling the kettle black comes to mind.  A group of these dietitians have banded together to have this stopped, they feel it's unethical. Hmmm......let me get a 48 oz. soft drink and a bag of chips while I think about that.

     The experts say that your dog really doesn't feel shame.  The article had this, and I quote, in it:  "I think they know how to placate us with this sad puppy-dog look that makes us think they're ashamed of what they've done.  My guess is that their thinking is:  'Oh man, my owner is super mad about something, but I don't know what, but he seems to calm down when I give him the sad face, so let's try that again.'", end quote.  So, the next time you find that your dog has shredded the new curtains and appears to look guilty, he is not showing guilt, but he is having an "Oh man" conversation in his head.  That makes perfect sense.

     Lastly is the poor dude in the snake church.  Yep, he gained much fame with his stint on the National Geographic Channel's "Snake Salvation", but no more.  He got bit a couple of weeks ago by a poisonous snake and died.  That's not going to keep the good people of his church from handling snakes though, nosirree, they are going to keep the faith.  

     One thing is for sure, you won't find sister Lela within a 200 mile radius of that church.  She hates snakes about as much as I dislike spiders.  To each his own, I say, but somewhere in the back of my brain, an old story comes to mind.  It's part of the story about the devil tempting Jesus.  Satan told him to go ahead, jump off the steeple, God will save you.  If memory serves me right, I believe Jesus said something about not tempting the Big Guy upstairs.


     

     
  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment