Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Gots To Have One

     Advertising is a fine art.  It may even rank right up there with a Rembrandt or a Van Gogh, my personal favorite.

     It has to capture the eye of its audience and make them feel as if they absolutely can not live without what ever item is for sale.  Not only does it need to capture the attention, it then has to hit on the emotional level, straight to the heart.  It seduces and pampers and tries its best to hit the love button.

     While dining on my low carb breakfast this morning, I was flipping through an insert from the local paper.  This would be yesterdays' paper, today's hasn't arrived yet.  

     It seems one of the biggest target audiences today is the baby boomer generation.  All the millions of folks who have been hitting 50 years old for the last decade or so.  Since I have fallen into this category it seems I should be in need of many things to make my life, what's left of it anyway, easier.  

     First on the list of  'got to have it' items was an ad for a fine collectible.  Collectibles are items one collects through out their life so their children can pack them up when they are gone.  They can fall into several different categories.  Bird figurines, brown tea pots, Santa sculptures and candle stick holders are just a few of the many things people can collect.  This particular ad was for a vinyl baby doll.  It was quite realistic looking, almost too realistic, and only cost $100 plus the $12 shipping.  The fine print states that it is not a toy.

     I decided to pass on it.  What good is it to have a 3 year old granddaughter in my house with a doll that is not a toy?  It would be a constant battle.  Not only that, she has been surrounded by boys since day one.  I could easily visualize the $100 plus $12 shipping fine collectible baby doll being catapulted from the back of the couch into a fortress of unsuspecting plastic soldiers.

     Next was a computer geared just for the senior citizen.  I guess turning 50 means you're a moron.  Most of us have had access to a computer, or own one, and obviously know how to use it.  Facebook is a perfect example of that.  This one is to make using a computer a fun and stress free experience.......bwahahahaha!

     Then there was the portable oxygen tank.  It comes with a sleek sexy carrying bag.  The elderly lady in the ad is seen strutting her stuff with this totally chic accessory.  If I need a portable oxygen tank, I do believe my strutting days are over.  I passed on that one too.

     Next was a bed that makes it easy to get out of bed.  It raises and folds until it looks like an over sized recliner and then, presto, you just walk out of it.  My thought was what happens when there is a power outage about the time you are folded up like a pretzel?  That could be bad.  I wondered too, if maybe it had an eject button just in case.  Hmm, that could be even worse.  The ad only showed a twin model, but I thought if there was a king size and it really did have an eject button it would sure come in handy when the snoring got to be more than I could take.

     The ad said that a variety of activities could be performed in this bed.  The two obvious ones that came to my mind were not mentioned, but you could craft, eat and visit with friends while in it.  I then wondered if maybe there was a toilet attached somewhere underneath. 

     Lastly, the walk in tub.  That seems like a good idea but do you have to sit in it while the tub is filling or crawl over the door when its full?  It would sure be a rude surprise if the door came open during a nice long soak and washed you right out into the bedroom. It would be embarrassing too, with all the friends who came to visit you in bed.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment