Monday, January 20, 2014

Things On Which I Ponder

     I ponder about a lot of things.  Things I think are deep and meaningful and things that make me raise my eyebrows and put on my "deadpan" face.  Here, if you will, are some recent ponders.

     What is it about a man's bald head that makes people open their mouths and emit words they wouldn't normally say.  My husband is bald, bald by choice, he shaves his head.  When it is freshly shaven, his head is really shiny, when it has a days' growth it acts just like Velcro and helps to keep his stocking cap on in strong winds. He has done this for so long that most people don't remember  when he had hair, or realize he still does.  He's had people say things like, "Whoa! Let me get my sunglasses on!" or "Hey, the glare is putting my eyes out!" Sometimes people will even rub the top of his head, as if to make a wish.  He seemingly takes all this in good humor but I do ponder, on occasion, about the whole heap of trouble he would be in if he patted every rear end he sees shoved in a tight pair of jeans. 

     Why is it that our educational and health care systems have way too many people in the administration department?  These people are usually not in the trenches teaching, spending hours with children, or on the health care side trying to save lives and care for the sick, but in most cases, they are making much more money than those who do the actual work.  

     Why is it that the individual private practice doctors have to be lumped into one giant medical group?  Was that to make treatment more accessible or to bank on treatment instead of a cure?  

     Why is it that a person without health insurance gets treated differently than one who does?  Is it all about the money?  A friend shared with me their recent trip to the doctor.  This friend lost their health insurance due to some financial hardships.  This person had a pretty good idea of what they needed to have done so rather than go through a bunch of unnecessary tests, they scheduled a consultation with their doctor to discuss their options.  

     This doctor was their family doctor whom they have known for years.  While at the visit, the nurse came in and took down all the information and administered a blood pressure check.  My friend told them that really wasn't necessary, they were only there for a consultation, but the nurse did it anyway.  

     To make a long story short, a procedure was decided on and my friend made the trip to where this would take place.  They had to pay up front an amount they could afford.  When my friends' name was called, they were ushered down a hall by a nurse.  The nurse opened the door and told my friend what to do and left.  No blood pressure, no questions as to how they were feeling, no kind words. The nurse didn't even enter the room.  

     I've been pondering that one for quite a while.

     I ponder about why a man, who has long stringy hair and a beard to match, wears camouflage, I guess on a daily basis, and is the star of some reality TV show is now a household name.  Even my 3 year old granddaughter shared with me this man's delight with a new hot tub.  I probably won't ponder on this one too long though, I'm pretty sure this fellow had more money than most of us, before he became a legend.

     Lastly, I ponder about sports, or a sport, that being football.  I do not ponder on the game itself because it causes my brain to turn to mush and I must keep as much of my gray matter as possible.  I do ponder as to why someone who is paid $465,000 (and that was last years' salary, I googled it) can be a complete idiot.  After his team won one of football's most coveted spots, a shot at being Super Bowl champions, this player went on a rant that made me think somebody needed to get the urine test kit out and be quick about it. 

     Honestly, I think that money would be much better spent on the teachers, nurses and doctors... and on that, I will ponder. 

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment