Thursday, January 2, 2014

All Things Weird & Wonderful

     Another cold day in the great Mid West.  More snow on the ground and the high for today is to be 16 degrees.  It's 10 degrees now, so not much of a warm up expected.

     I'm sitting here with color on my hair.  My hairdresser daughter loves it when I do it myself.  Usually because by the time I'm finished I have one ear darker than the other.  I could let her do it but since I myself used to be a hairdresser, I really do know what I'm doing.  Besides, letting her or someone else do it would require me to sit still for an unbearable amount of time.

    While waiting on the timer for my hair, I was looking around this morning at all the weird, outside of the box, things that I like.

     First there is the water pitcher with rocks in the bottom.  These rocks consist of amethyst, rose and crystal quartz, aventurine, calcite and sodalite.  The purpose of the rocks is to re-charge the water.  It's a quite simple process.  I only need to fill the pitcher before I retire for the evening and by morning I have a pitcher full of vitalizing water.  At the end of each month I put the rocks outside for 24 hours and let them recharge from the earth and the sun.  Go ahead, roll your eyes, but, if you stop by I will share a glass of my recharged, vitalized water and you can be the judge.  It really does taste different than what came out of the filtered water spout. Not only that, it makes for a good conversation piece.

     Then there is my pink Himalayan crystal salt.  Now that is some tasty stuff.  It's much healthier than white table salt and if you have never taken the time to read about the dangers of white table salt, perhaps you should.  

     I stumbled across this particular salt while I was researching building a flotation tank.  I've always wanted a flotation tank, but wow, they are pricey and I figured I could build my own.  If you are not familiar with what a flotation tank is, let me explain.  It's a large tank or tub that looks similar to a bath tub only bigger and it only needs to be about 12 inches deep.  The tub is filled with salt water to the point of creating buoyancy.  This requires a whole lot of salt, a few hundred pounds.  The water is then heated to 98.6 degrees. After all this is accomplished, a person lays in the water and floats. Since the water is the same temperature as a human body, it creates the sensation of weightlessness.  What is the purpose?  It allows the user to go into a deep state of meditation.  

     Now, before I do the drum roll for another eye roll, flotation tanks are used by top athletes who have been injured because the weightlessness and stress relieving qualities achieved speed up the healing process.   That is not something your regular doctor is likely to share with you.  

     The biggest hurdle to my flotation tank project is where to put it.  I would like to put it in a spare bedroom, upstairs.  I haven't yet enlightened my husband on this location, probably because I can already see those brown eyes narrowing along with the slow nod of "no".  Oh well, I shall continue to persevere. 

     Another great quality of Himalayan crystal salt is it makes for a wonderful exfoliate.  It can even be used as a detox by mixing it with equal amounts of oil, I use coconut oil, rubbing it into the body, wrapping up with a sheet or blanket and resting for 30 minutes.  I did this to my husband.  Since I fell asleep after wrapping him like a mummy, he was quite well done and thoroughly detoxed by the time he got me awake.

     One of my favorite weird things is hydrogen peroxide.  Hydrogen peroxide has many uses, from disinfecting to rocket fuel.  If you do a little research on it, you will find a ton of information on how it is used to treat diseases. 

     First, the H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) that I use is food grade, not the kind in the little brown bottle you find in the health isle at your discount store.  It comes at a strength of 35% and has to be diluted to 3%.  

     One of the health benefits of H2O2 is putting it in a humidifier.
I thought this to be a splendid idea and purchased a small humidifier that puts out a very fine mist.  Since it was small enough, I placed it on a large shelf that hangs on the wall over the head of our bed.  It was so refreshing to fall asleep with that fine mist wafting over our faces.

     About two weeks into this respiratory therapy I noticed something odd about my husband.  His eyebrows were turning orange.  I then took a really good look at mine, they too had a brassy tint.  What the heck was going on?  It was at that time I remembered another amazing quality of H2O2.....it bleaches.

     That brings me back to the hair color solution sitting on top of my head.  When I discovered I had unintentionally bleached my eyebrows to a nice shade of rust, the next time I colored my hair, I dabbed some of the mixture on my eyebrows.  After a few minutes I went to the mirror to check the progress and... EGAD!, I looked like Groucho Marx! 

     I quickly wiped off the excess and was extremely fortunate to get it off before it had tinted my skin.  Needless to say, the humidifier sits far away from the head of the bed.

     The timer is going off on the stove and unless I wish to look like the Queen Mother of Darkness, I should wash the color off.

     What's next on my list of weird and wonderful things?  Coconut flour.  I'll keep you posted on that one.

   Have a good day and may it be filled with weird and wacky wonderful things. 


     



No comments:

Post a Comment