Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Just Add Water

     "Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink."
                  Rime of the Ancient Mariner   Samuel Taylor Coleridge


     Water wasn't my intended topic.  In fact, sometime yesterday afternoon I had a splendid idea pop into my head for today's subject.  But alas, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. My proof reader says she is going to make me a tiny book, to wear on a chain, like a necklace, so I can jot down my ideas, when I am enlightened by them.  It will also have to have a tiny pencil to go with it.  This will require me to remember where I place this "awe inspiring thought catcher", in order to wear it each day.  I have a small voice recorder for exactly the same purpose.  I think I know where it is.....maybe.

     It's not that there is no water, it's out there, somewhere, we just can't access it.  This latest polar vortex has really done a number on the ageing infrastructures.  Lots of broken water mains.  Just when we think we get to boil more water, there is no water to boil.  Our small city crew has been working non stop for the last couple of days trying to remedy this situation and my hat goes off to them.  We had water last night, at least our end of town did, before we went to bed, but none this morning.  That certainly throws a wrench in the gears.  Having no water in the middle of the afternoon can be lived with.  Waking up with no water, well, that can be down right ugly and my hair is proof of that.  I did have the foresight to boil a large pan last night while the "gettin was good", so we were able to brush our teeth this morning.

     There was even enough for me to fix my pot of tea and my husband's coffee.  The coffee smells wonderful this morning.  I wish I liked it.  If it would only taste like it smells, I could drink it.  I could drink it now, but it's a bit early to break out the Baileys.

     Let's see, what else?  Oh, yes....the Grammy Awards.  My there is a lot of twatter going on about that.  Twatter, aka chatter, twitter and any other social media outlet you'd like to throw in the mix.
People either loved it, or didn't and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground to stand on.  I'm not sure why the people who fell into the dislike category bothered to take the time to watch it. Maybe they just needed something to gripe about.  I enjoyed it, although, I must admit, I was a little disappointed with the opening act.  I'm not a big JayZ fan, Beyonce yes, him, not so much. But he may have redeemed himself with me, like he really cares what I think,  with his own acceptance speech.  Perhaps fatherhood has been good for him. 

     One reason I like to watch it is to see all the people in the audience.  Some of them make it on stage, but a lot of them don't. I enjoy seeing the clothes and the hairstyles they chose for this gala event.  Then I spotted Steven Tyler.  I've always liked him but if someone starts a new talk show called "Plastic Surgery Gone Bad", he may be their first guest.

     Watching the Grammy's also gives me a chance to see who the artists are.  I never know the names of songs or who sings them, I only know the words.  This was always a seed of discontent for my daughters.  If I needed to know who was singing or what the title of the song was I would have to sing a few bars first.  I always waited to do this when they had friends over.

     Then there was Paul and Ringo, on stage together.  That will probably never happen again.  As I watched them perform, I was reminded of something.....ears and noses never stop growing.

     One young man seemed to be a rising star in the music industry and won several awards.  I've already forgotten his name but I hope that after the show was over he gave Smokey The Bear his hat back.

     It was a fun evening for me because I like that kind of music.  I will still turn it up loud and bust a move when the notion strikes, even if it makes my hip hurt the next day.  I'm guessing that's the same reason Madonna had a cane.

     Still no water, but the electricity is up and running, guess I will turn on some tunes.



No comments:

Post a Comment