Tuesday, November 5, 2013

This Might Work

     Thanks to a posting on Facebook this past Summer, I was able to witness something I viewed as a breath taking event.  It was the International Space Station passing over this area.  

     I have now come to learn that the ISS passes over our area almost daily, but I didn't know that at the time and I was so excited that I had a chance to see it.

     It was supposed to be visible about 9 o'clock in the evening and be heading ENE.  I was armed with my phone and its amazing camera and had it set on video mode.  I was going to capture this event so I could share it with those who share my enthusiasm for seeing things moving in the night sky.  The sky was absolutely cloudless and the stars and planets twinkled in the blackness of space.  I began to wonder if I would really get to see it since I didn't have a clue what to look for.  I stood on the north edge of the deck gazing up into the vastness.

     Standing looking straight up can make your neck hurt and make you dizzy at the same time, so I kept glancing at my phone, checking the time, to alleviate both symptoms.  I was about to give up when there it was, the International Space Station, right over the top of my head!  There was no doubt as to what it was, its light was huge, no way could I have missed that.  I was so ecstatic I nearly dropped my phone.  I calmed myself long enough to aim the phone into the sky and hit record.  Then I watched as the ISS raced across the blackness.  I was amazed at its speed and stood transfixed until it was out of sight, which unfortunately, happened faster than I had expected.  I've since discovered the ISS travels over 17,000 mph, wow, that gives new meaning to "blowing your doors off".

     After it was out of sight I remembered I had been videoing  this monumental event, hit the stop button and ran inside to relive the entire moment.

     Years ago, while my parents were on vacation, Dad took a picture.  It was a picture of a body of water that was covered as far as the eye could see with Whooping Cranes.  There was something about that visual that he wanted to capture for all time.  That picture has been the source for hilarious entertainment since it was taken, because you can't see the birds.  He was too far away, all you could see was water in the distance. 

     I tell you this because that is what my video of the ISS streaking across the black night sky looks like, black sky.  I even went into the bathroom, shut all the lights off and played it again.  Again, black sky and I had to admit I'd taken one for the archives of family entertainment.

     My research about the International Space Station tells me there have been people from fifteen countries who have had the opportunity to visit it and study there.  I wonder what it is like to be able to look down on this beautiful blue orb we call Earth, this place that was made just for us, and not see all the ugliness man has created on her surface.

     Recently, scientist have released a study that there are over 8 billion earth like planets, orbiting a sun, in our solar system alone. That's more planets than there are people on Earth.  Maybe we should all have our own planet for awhile and see how we like it, like being told to go sit in the corner of the universe. Maybe we'd learn that being alone isn't much fun and we'd be more kind and tolerant of our fellow man.  Oh sure, there would be those who would put up a "no trespassing" sign on their northern pole, but I think the majority would come to realize, we really do need each other.  Maybe then, we could all get along.

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment