Wednesday, November 13, 2013

It's a Family Tradition

     The little girl watched as her mother prepared the holiday meal.  The mother skillfully cut the end off a large ham, placed it in a pan and put it into the oven.  
    
     The little girl asked her mother, "Mommy, why did you cut the end off the ham?"

     Her mother answered, "Because that is the way my mother, your grandmother has always done it."

     The little girl trotted into the living room where her grandmother was and said, "Grandma, why do you cut the end off the ham before it goes in the oven?"

      Her grandmother answered, "Because that is the way my mother, your great grandmother has always done it."

     The little girl then went into the study where her great grandmother was sitting and asked again, "Great Grammy, why do you cut the end off of the ham before putting it in the oven?"

     Her great grandmother looked down at her and said, "Because, my darling great granddaughter, it was the only way it would fit in the pan."

     Tradition is defined as "the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc. from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth or by practice."  That doesn't mean that all the 'traditions' handed down are truth carved in stone, it's just something that we keep passing along.

     A few months ago I started my own tradition.  Every Monday through Friday, when school is in session, one of my two oldest grandsons walk their dog. The boys alternate each day, one is very chatty, for not having been out of bed long, the other, not so much. 

     They take the same route each day which comes up the alley by our house.  I watch for them and when they get close, I go outside with a treat for the dog.  I break the treat into four pieces and it's a daily score card to see if she can catch each piece in mid air.  

     Their cat goes with them on this daily routine, which looks like a scene out of Homeward Bound, but she isn't interested in any treats.  The dog however, turns into our driveway whether she can see me or not.  She remembers and enjoys this five day tradition.

     I don't know who I will be able to pass this tradition on to after I'm gone.  Since my husband is not into pets, I rather doubt he will carry on this morning ritual.  It would be amusing to see him standing in the pet section of a store though, looking for the perfect dog treat.  Now that I think of it, it would be amusing to see him in a store, period.

     With the holiday season fast approaching, there will be many family traditions carried out.  Sometimes traditions are as simple as always going to a certain home to celebrate, or they can have elaborate rituals to mark the event.  

     Whatever yours is, enjoy it and pass it on to the next generation. If you don't have one, it's never too late to start.  Make it somber, or hilariously funny.  

     If you don't know why certain traditions are always done the way they are, ask why.  You might be amazed to find out you could have had an extra ham sandwich or two.   

      

  

    
   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment