Wednesday, November 20, 2013

New Glasses

     New glasses are, pardon the pun, a real eye opener.  When a young person has to have glasses, those glasses open up a whole new world for them.  They see things the rest of us have taken for granted.

     I didn't have the need for glasses until forty something and for me they were a real pain in the wazoo.  I was complaining about them to a friend of mine who had worn glasses since he was a young boy.  He told me the first time he put them on was the first time he had ever seen leaves on the trees.  He said he was so fascinated by the leaves that he could stand under a tree for the longest time, just "seeing" the leaves.  After that, I tried to be more appreciative.

     Eye glasses have quite a history.  They were mentioned in ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs in the 5th century BC.  The first pair were crafted in Italy about 1286 and since then they have gone through numerous useful and fashionable changes.  

     They have evolved from simple handheld models, to types that sat only on the nose.  Somewhere along their line of evolution came the idea to attach arms to each side, to hook on the ears, and that kept them from falling off the face.  It probably made finding them a lot easier too.  Their frames have been thick, thin, metal and plastic in an array of colors.  Now there are no-frame models with light weight lenses that are nearly invisible.

     We can put a man on the moon but have yet to come up with a pair of glasses that are boy proof.  My younger grandson recently got his first pair.  His older brother already wore glasses and since he spent a great deal of energy yanking them off his brother's face, I figured he secretly wanted a pair too.  

     I stopped at his house the other evening and told him I wanted to see him in his new glasses.  He told me they didn't work.  I asked him what he meant by that and he said they didn't fit right on his face.  "Get them anyway", I said "and let me see."

     He retrieved them from the sanitary depths of his gym shoes. This location had nothing to do with the fact that they didn't sit right on his face.  I was impressed that he actually knew where they were.  He put them on, and sure enough, they didn't sit right on his face.  One arm was on his ear, the other about three inches up on the other side of his head.  He grinned like a Cheshire cat until his mother asked how they got bent.  With that he shrugged his shoulders, said he didn't have a clue, set the glasses on the counter and left the room.  

     The new glasses were just as funny looking setting on the counter as they had been on his head.  I was nearly in a state of hysteria, but since his mother was failing to see the humor of the situation, I went home.

     I still do not like my glasses.  Probably because God did not see fit to place my ears at equal distances from the top of my head and therefore my glasses are always sitting cattiwompus on my face.  I spend a great deal of time looking for them and many times after searching high and low, I've found them on top of my head.  My husband has told me, on more than one occasion, that if I would simply put them in the same place each time I take them off, I could easily find them.  What fun would that be?

     I must admit, they do come in handy.  I can no longer see, in clarity, things that are up close and my arms are not long enough anymore, to hold at a distance, what I'm trying to view.  I have also discovered that eyeglasses are good for something else. Something that I should really get a patent on before releasing this information to the public.  People spend thousands of dollars looking for this miracle and it's been here all along, right in front of us.  

     Try this simple experiment.  Stand in front of a mirror while wearing your glasses.  Slowly, take your glasses off.  Fine lines and wrinkles disappear, instantainioulsy!



     


     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment