Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A Few Tips

      Summer is far behind us now.  School has been in session for a couple of months and we have made it through the time change from daylight savings back to standard time.  The early dawn now has some light and by 5 o'clock it's beginning to get dark.  

     The trees have been glorious in their Autumn attire this year, but as the weather changes and the temperatures drop, so do the leaves. Winter is just around the corner and with it will come more weather changes.  

     When the seasons change from warm to cold, our driving habits need to change too.  Having been in a driving occupation for the last 17 years, I'd like to share a few safe driving tips.

     First and foremost, wear your seat belt.  Not just because it's a law, but because it could very well save your life.  Make it a habit, like brushing your teeth.  If you don't brush your teeth, you should.

     Put your kids in a car seat.  I always thought the person who came up with the car seat idea either didn't have children or had never ridden with one screaming for sixty miles strapped in a car seat.  Children are our most precious commodity and car seats keep them safe.  It never ceases to amaze me how many parents I see riding around with their kids roaming all over the vehicle, if I did that with my grandchildren, I'd be in the pokey before noon.

     If it's rainy, foggy or just plain dreary outside, turn on your headlights.  Most newer cars have day time running lights, but that doesn't always mean your tail lights are on.  Please don't have the attitude that if you can see, everybody else can see you.  If your vehicle is dark, tan or silver it blends in perfectly with wet pavement.  Having your headlights on will get you noticed and may save you from the idiot who just came off the exit ramp and wants to pull out in front of you.

     There is a handle on the left side of the steering column in your vehicle.  It's called the turn signal.  Please use it.  Most of us are not tuned into our psychic abilities well enough to know which way you are going to turn, or when you are planning to do so.  It is a rare occurrence that you will wear them out by using them.  Mother spent most of her time driving with one of them on all the time and they worked for years.  Also, it's a good idea, every so often, to turn on all the lights on your vehicle and then walk around it to see if they are all working.  Remember, there is a light on the rear license plate too. Having all the lights in working order not only helps you to be seen but can save you money by keeping you from being stopped by the police and getting a ticket.

     This is a true fact, bridges really do ice over quicker than the rest of the pavement.  It is an underwear changing experience to be driving straight ahead one moment and find yourself sideways the next because you are on an icy bridge.  If you don't believe that, better put an extra pair or two in the glove box.  

     Driving a SUV does not make you invincible to road weather hazards nor give you super human driving abilities.  It doesn't matter how many "wheel drive" you have when it comes to ice or heavy wet snow.  Just last year I found myself about 50 miles from home when a nasty snow storm blew in.  I decided to take a route less traveled to get home, thinking I would be safer from all the traffic on the interstate.    The storm had already dumped 4 to 6 inches of super wet snow on the roads and 40 mph was my top speed, 45 and I would find myself sideways.  I was on a straight stretch of road when I encountered a vehicle coming towards me and going a lot faster than I was.  The next thing I knew, not only was it coming towards me, it was in my lane.  I slowed down and watched as it drove off my side of the road and stopped.  As I got closer the young driver of the sporty model SUV smiled and waved. Yes, her 4 wheel drive enabled her to get back on the road, but it didn't keep her from what could have been a serious accident.

     Last but certainly not least, drive defensively, not distracted.  Pay attention to what is going on around you.  The number of people I meet, on a ten mile trip to Wal-Mart, who are looking down at their phones is unbelievable.  It's  one thing to be attached to our phones, but it is a sad state of affairs when a law had to be made for lack of common sense.  Keep your eyes on the road, that text message or phone call can wait.

     Driving is a privilege, a skill, even an art form.  Be careful out there, take your time and pay attention. Winter won't last forever, but we want to keep you around for as long as possible.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment