Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Surmise

    
     I watched the fog roll in this morning, like smoke from a smoldering pile of autumn leaves.  As it rolled in, the fog in my brain began to roll out.

     The red cape is hanging limp on a hook.  Its golden shield, with the S trimmed in red, lies hidden among the folds.  I beckon to it, to come to me, to drape across my shoulders, but it pays me no heed. Silently, it keeps its back to me.

     I notice the Voice.  It's sitting half way up the spiral staircase, gazing out the window, watching the construction workers next door.  It lets out a heavy sigh, followed by the words, "I told you so."  That phrase is one of the Voice's favorite.

     As usual, the Voice was right.  I knew something was not quite right.  But, when faced with the decision to pay bills or add to the current bills, the former won.  

     It's nothing too serious, but will take a while for me to get back up to speed.  I'm running in low gear, with a low blood count that will take four to six weeks to replenish itself.  I really need to feel better before that, but jumping prematurely on the "Feel Better Band Wagon" last night proved to be an eye opener to the fact that this process is going to take some time.  

     I have to take an iron supplement.  One of the common side effects associated with iron supplements is constipation.  I may not be able to contain my excitement waiting for that symptom to raise its ugly head.   

     I am chuckling to myself as I think how we would poke fun at the old folks of the family.  We always said they didn't have anything to talk about except bodily functions.  The Voice is picking its teeth with a feather of Crow.

     The uterus is the incubator for the human race.  Without it we would not exist.  Throughout history, many a male member of our species have rivaled for a shot, no pun intended, at the mystery this magical organ contains.  But, there is no better way to watch the blood drain from a man's face, after they have asked a barrage of questions as to why you are not feeling well, than to answer them with "female problems".  

    

     

No comments:

Post a Comment