Friday, September 12, 2014

Idle Times Ahead

     One week ago today it was so hot and humid outside that breathing was a chore.  Last night as I stood outdoors, surveying my domain, I was wearing earmuffs.

     This cold snap is a little premature and the weather app on my phone assures me that more seasonal temps are on the way for next week.  Despite this information, one thing is perfectly clear......the days of summer are in the past.

     The passage of the seasons could probably fall under the heading of 'there is nothing new under the sun' but, this ending summer season seems like it only began a couple of weeks ago.  Mother always said, "The older you get, the faster the time goes by."

     The approaching autumn brings with it one thing I am not looking forward to.  The Fall Line Up of new TV shows or new episodes of the old ones.  I'd be lying if I said I did not watch TV during the cooler, colder, darker months of the year, but it would be a safe bet for me to say that our television has not been on more than 40 hours during the warmer, hotter and more daylight months.
This calculation does not include weekends of NASCAR or endless repeat episodes of 'something caught on camera' but since I don't watch any of that, I don't count it.

     It is odd, we have over 100 channels to choose from and all the shows we watch are on one network......that could be accessed with an old fashioned aluminum antenna.......or a coat hanger.  I justify having the other 99 plus channels because this one network does not carry any shows about UFO's, extraterrestrials, conspiracy theories or other weird stuff that I like to watch.

     Watching endless hours of TV makes me feel guilty.  I guess that is because there is something I'm supposed to be doing and I keep putting it on the back burner.  It reminds me of a recent comic strip.  Each frame of the strip showed the husband and wife sitting on the sofa.  In the last frame she turns to him and says, "Why is it that none of the shows we watch show people sitting watching TV?"  

     True that.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment