Monday, September 15, 2014

Breaking My Own

     Its been said that a child knows everything they need to know about how to get along in life by age 5.  To that I will add something I learned while I was a foster parent.  If a child cannot be taken out of a 'bad' situation before age 5, the odds of erasing what they have learned are a lot harder to overcome.

     This year is almost three quarters past.  I've tried really hard to follow the resolutions I proclaimed at the years' beginning, but now I'm going to break one.

     I do not like politics.  Mostly because as soon as an election is over, within a week or two, there is already talk about the next election.  It becomes very tiresome.

     This country, the United States of America, was founded on freedom or freedoms, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Of course, there were several 'freedoms' that were not accepted or even thought of at its conception.  Things like slavery, women being able to do more than just kitchen, kids and bedroom stuff, acceptance of things we do not consider normal and the list goes on and on. 

     Many things fall under the heading of liberty, one of those being religious freedom.  It seems to be working well here, since there are hundreds of congregations with different beliefs from sea to shining sea.  That is not to say there have not been battles over religions, nor is it to say that people have not lost their lives on this soil due to religious beliefs, but for the most part, it works....a few of us have learned from our mistakes.

     The worst part about religion is that the different congregations all feel that their way of believing is right......and every other doctrine that others follow is wrong.  

     This thing in the Middle East perplexes me.  First, I will not, nor have any desire, to watch the gruesome videos that a certain group is using to instill fear and terror upon anyone they deem to be infidels.  Once that image is burned into your gray matter, it doesn't go away and there are things better left unseen, just as there are things better left unsaid.

     But how do you reason with someone who is completely unreasonable?  How are you to be diplomatic with a group that has no diplomacy or respect of human life?  How do you think things will get better when it is clear, that if you do not believe the way they want you to believe, they will eliminate you?  The recent choice of elimination seems to be the lopping off of someone's head while the executioner hides behind a mask and some other coward videos the mess.  THAT is suppose to get my attention?  Well yes, yes it does and it brings to mind a couple of things. 

     If I find that I have a mouse, or mice, in my cupboard and choose to do nothing about it, I accept the fact that my food supply is going to be covered with many an excrement of small rodents and will be of no healthy value to me.  If I choose to get rid of the mice, I also know that said dead mouse may have had a litter of small mice waiting for its return.

     If I plant a garden and let the weeds take over, then I accept the fact that the good produce I wanted is all for naught.  If I choose to pull the weeds, then yes, I know the weeds will perish.

     It is totally against my nature to be combative.  I've always been the peace maker, but enough is enough.  Reasoning with unreasonable is never going to work.  It's time to set the traps and weed the garden.

    
     

     

     

     

     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment