Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Family Tree

     So, I'm laying in bed, wide awake, about 3 a.m., which is not unusual, and I'm thinking.  I'm thinking about dogs.  I'm thinking if all dogs can trace their roots back to the wolf, where did the "dog" factor come into play?  

     I remember sitting in the veterinary office, looking at the large dog family tree chart on the wall.  It showed all the different breeds of dogs and where they came from.  Sure enough, they all traced back to the wolf.  I make a mental note to do a little research on this thought.  I do not wish to get up at 3 a.m. to satisfy my inquisitive mind on such an important matter, rising that early makes for a very long day.

     Later on I looked up some information.  Obviously there were some other dog like animals that roamed the earth thousands of years ago and somewhere along the line one or two of them must have thought the wolf to be quite handsome and charming.  Thus the beginning of dog genealogy. 

     If you have been following along, you know that I have a new dog.  A Jack Russell Terrier.  I purchased a book on this breed and so far most everything I did at the beginning of our relationship was wrong.  I'm trying to correct these things.  For instance, the book says not to act like an idiot when greeting the dog after a long absence, like first thing in the morning.  Well, she didn't actually use the word 'idiot', but I have stopped doing the happy dog dance and it really does make the morning less stressful.

     I'm looking at him, Runtly, asleep in his kennel.  So peaceful and calm, almost angelic.......almost.  According to the dog family tree chart he might have come from mastiffs,  greyhounds, beagles and a number of other combinations.  I'm not sure because there are two limbs on the tree and each end with terriers.  

     I have come to the conclusion that the chart is simply a means to pacify anyone who owns a JRT.  I believe, with all my heart, that their true bloodline comes from the Tasmanian Devil and a Turbo Blender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment