Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Thin Line

     Since 2014 is winding down, I've decided to once again break a resolution made many months ago.  

     It has been so long that I do not remember exactly what it was, but I believe it had something to do with not getting caught up in the messiness of the world.

     But this thing in Ferguson, Missouri has me perplexed....

     I will not go over all the details.  I think anyone who has even briefly walked past a newscast or read a newspaper, or been on some social media site knows the story....or stories.

     The governor of the "show me" state has already declared a state of emergency waiting for the outcome of whether or not the policeman involved will go to trial.  The reports say regardless of the decision, rioting is expected.  The local businesses are already boarding up their store windows and doors while still trying to do, or stay, in business.

     I ran across an article posted by Gateway Pundit that stated "the Justice for Mike Brown Ferguson protest group released its list of potential targets following the decision by the St. Louis County Courthouse on the Mike Brown case."

     This list has 70 targets of potential action. Seven of the names on the list are hospitals.  Some are churches.  The art museum is on the list, as well as shopping centers and the Lambert Airport.

     At the end of the article there is a quote.  It does not give the name of the person who said it, but this is how it reads, "Rioting and looting are the tools of those without a voice.  The rioting and looting, while I didn't participate in it, was necessary.  Without it we would not be standing here today."

     Let me see if I understand this.  If something makes me mad, I have the right to go into my local businesses, the places that actually help make my community a community, and trash their establishment.  Also, while I'm there, I can take whatever I please.  It may be a big screen TV or ten pairs of expensive shoes, but I'm mad and I have no other way, or means, to get my point across.  I can burn, loot, pilfer to my heart's delight and further more, I'm not going to help clean up the mess.

     A thin line between love and hate?  This is a thin line between ignorance and downright stupidity and the line is just about obliterated to the point that one is indistinguishable from the other.

     Regardless of the decision, what would happen if the people were silent?  What would happen if they simply cried tears of joy or sorrow, went home, picked up the pieces and said, "let's not let this happen again.  Let's do something that will bring about a change, a change for the better"?

     Sound 'pie in the sky' to you?  Fine.  Please don't get upset then if one of the business owners, hospitals, churches, museums or any on the list of 70 feels the need to protect their business, or themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment