Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Deliver Me From.....The Kitchen!

     There is a hint of Autumn in the air.  The cooler nights have sent the signal to the trees that it is time for their green leaves to turn to gold and red.  It is a beautiful time of the year.  The thing I do not understand about this shift in the seasons is why does it make people want to run to the kitchen and cook?

     I had fallen under this spell and came across a new recipe that sounded quite tasty, relatively inexpensive and better yet, easy. That alone should have been my first red flag.

     My husband's mother used to fix corned beef and cabbage....in a crock pot.....in the garage......there was a reason for that.  Although I am not a connoisseur of cooked cabbage, I do love a good Reuben sandwich with corned beef, sourkrout and swiss cheese.  The recipe I had stumbled upon was for a Reuben roll, and looked much like one of those ice cream and cake rolls that come in a box.

     The ingredients were simple, another red flag, and called for pizza crust, that comes in a can like biscuits,  deli corned beef, sourkrout, shredded swiss cheese and thousand island dressing. Five things.  I'm thinking life is good and I can do this!

    When I was a kid, my brother-in-law, who grew up in the largest metropolis close to this small rural proximity, used to tease me about how they had to pipe the sunlight into our area.  He thought we lived way out in the sticks.  As I was gathering the above mentioned ingredients, I thought of him, because finding shredded swiss cheese was not an option.  I did find a couple of packages of sliced swiss and figured I could shred it myself.  The Voice, who lives in my head, was standing on the sidelines shouting, "Easy?", but I paid it no mind.

     Being a whopping ten miles from home, I had all the ingredients except for the corned beef and I did not think it was odd that the store I'm was in did not have it.  No problem, I tell myself, I will grab some when I get home.   That didn't happen either.

     Two days later, I made another ten mile trip from home in search of the elusive deli corned beef.  The nice girl behind the deli counter smiled as she told me they did not carry it.  As I walked off, a thought came to mind that maybe, just maybe, I could find it in the canned meat section.  I hurried down the aisle, and there it was, a can of corned beef!  It was not exactly the amount I needed but I was thrilled to find it.  I could finally make the Ruben roll! Then I saw the price......$5.45.

     I stared at that can of meat for a really long time before deciding that if I did not buy it, I had a bunch of swiss cheese that would not get used for anything.  

     Preparing the Rueben roll went like most things I attempt, as the kitchen looked like a tornado had gone through it.  When I fired up the food processor to shred the cheese, Runtly shot out of the room like a white bullet and hid behind a chair in the living room.  The Voice was back there too, but it was giggling.

     The end result was good, but the next time I have a craving for a Rueben sandwhich, it will be cheaper and more fun to go out and order one. 

     

     


     

          

     

No comments:

Post a Comment