Monday, November 25, 2019

New Things

During this time of the year, my husband has been accused, more than once, of buying himself something.  It does not particularly matter what it is he buys, but the man can go an entire 11 months and never purchase a thing.  Come close to December and he decides he needs something.....his children are never cheery about this.  He has agreed not to do it this year, but he still has a gift card from last year and I'm pretty sure I saw it smoldering the other day.

Recently, I had to purchase some new things myself.  I don't think any family member will be upset about my recent purchases....they really do not fall into the gift category.  

Having made several trips to the dentist in the last few months, I was advised to get two things.  An electric, sonic toothbrush and a water pick.  These certainly did not sound like exciting items, but one's teeth are rather helpful to keep. 

For once, I did not buy these online, but found them at the local big box store, the one where people's pictures end up on some social media platform....and they are never flattering and this store is darn near next door.  It did not take long to find the items and they had smaller, more "condensed" models of what I needed.  This was a plus as I was already wondering where I was going to put them.

After getting home with my new purchases, I quickly opened the boxes because both items needed to be charged before I could use them.  When this was accomplished, I set down to read the entire instructions on how to use them.  The sonic toothbrush was pretty self explanatory, turn it on and let it brush the teeth.  The instructions for the water pick said to put it in the mouth before turning it on.  Well, duh, I thought, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. 

When the 24 hour charging time was done, I was ready to try out the new equipment.  First to floss with water.  Pulling the trigger on this baby, while in the mouth, was akin to getting hit in the face with the garden hose nozzle set on JET.  The water pressure was surely just under what comes out of the fire hydrant and I was certainly glad it was warm water or it may have felt like a brain freeze of the worst magnitude.  Then.....I pulled it out of my mouth....without turning it off....my shirt was covered with stripes of water within seconds.  All I can say are two things, at least it wasn't pointed towards my eye and I believe the design flaw is there is a separate button for off.....which I now keep my thumb on.

Then it was time for the sonic toothbrush.  I was soon to learn why it was called sonic because when I placed it on my teeth I feared they might be vibrated right out of my mouth.  Luckily they did not and I have gotten the hang of just how to use this tool.....along with remembering to make sure it is in my mouth before it is turned on.  Unless I really want my toothpaste thrown in 400 different directions, at once.

The last purchase was a sports bra.  It was from one of those fancy-ancy stores that think their stuff is WAY better than what other sports wear stores have.  Plus, it was on sale...the last plus for my shopping antics. 

A word to the wise, never go by the size that is stamped on the hanger.  Otherwise you will know the true meaning of Dolly Parton's famous line....10 pounds of mud in a 5 pound sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment