Monday, April 1, 2019

As The Crow Flies

Its all been said before.  Famous quotes that are short and to the point. Quips of lasting wisdom, in the form of a pocket calendar.  If you point a finger at someone, there are three pointing back at you. If you want to make $%#! stink, stir it.  People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  

I've lived long enough to have been charged guilty of most of them.
Like the time, instead of being happy for my best friend about getting her first automatic dishwasher, I made some stupid remark as to why would anyone need one of those.  Today, the dishwasher is my favorite appliance.  I live by the motto, if it does not fit in the dishwasher, do not use it.  Or, if it's the only thing that will fit in the dishwasher, so be it. 

Oh, the advice I was so full of about raising children.....before I had any of my own.  This is one of the very best ways to get hit in the face with a fresh batch of reality.  Biting ones' tongue is a most admirable characteristic to have.

One of the biggest pet peeves of mine has been video games.  What a waste of precious time.  When our daughters were young, they had a Nintendo.  Everyone had one, so why not us.  One daughter had a terrible time trying to stop playing the games.  Before to long,  her behavior was becoming none too charming.  So, like a warrior dressed in full wartime armor, I unplugged it, gathered all the cables, joysticks, games and what not and threw the whole kit and kaboodle in the trash.  

Recently, ah, here it comes, I downloaded a game on my phone, something I have NEVER done.  But, this isn't just any old game, it's designed to keep the brain active, working, smart.  Mother always did crossword puzzles, to help keep her mind sharp and since it seemed to have worked for her, I wanted to follow suit.
The game is called "Wordscapes".  It gives the player six letters and an empty grid, like a crossword puzzle.  The purpose of the game is to fill the grid with words made from the six letters.  Once the puzzle is completed, the player receives payments in imaginary pennies and the total is kept at the bottom of the screen.

My plan was to play a few minutes each day, just for the brain.  Then, one day, I noticed I was involuntarily in a tournament.  I did not think too much about it, but when the tournament was over, I had placed 6th.  Each day I played, the minutes ticked by.  The minutes were turning into half hours, forty five minutes, even an hour!     I realized I had been sucked into some sort of oblivion, someplace so satisfying and yet, I knew I had to back away.

The next time I decided to play, it was early in the day.  Lo and behold, another tournament had started.  Having the competitive streak of my father, I decided I would go for the gold.  I'm ashamed to admit this but, 5 hours later I was in first place.  There were 30 minutes left in the tourney, I had used nearly all of my pennies buying hints and my mind was wiped out.  I quit, looked at the clock and sighed.  What a waste of precious time!

While considering removing the game from my phone, I happened to look at it the next day.  I had placed 2nd in the tourney and my prize was 1000 pennies.....Perhaps the title of this episode of tRuth As I See It should have been 'as the crow dies'.....excuse me, I need to go pick some feathers out of my teeth.....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment