Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Just The Way It Is

     The Voice, that lives in my head and other places in my personal space, and I took Runtly for a walk.  Of course, it was one of many walks during the day, but the Voice usually hangs back, choosing to lounge on the deck and watch the clouds roll by.

     This time the Voice decided to go along.  It romped along with the dog, following closely behind, checking on all the things Runtly had to stop and smell.  On occasion, it would make a gagging sound.  Runtly has no preference as to where his nose may go, if it stinks, it's good.

     I, on the other hand, was not in a jovial mood.  I was frustrated.  There were so many thoughts dancing around in my grey matter that I felt like I could not think at all.  The Voice, with its encompassing wisdom and ever so thoughtful tact, noticed my situation and said, "My, my, aren't you just a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day."  I muttered something under my breath in response and the Voice said, "I didn't mean that as a compliment."

     "I'm aware of that." I answered back.  "I've just got a lot on my mind."

     The Voice was inspecting a piece of trash that Runtly was happily carrying down the street.  "I wish people would not throw their trash along side the road.", I grumbled.

     "But they do, right?", the Voice quizzed.

     "Yes."

     "Sooooo", the Voice crooned, "Why don't you pick it up?  It's obvious they are not going to stop doing it and you can not make them stop throwing their trash out.  So, rather than gripe and stew about something that is completely out of your control, either ignore it or pick it up."

     I was thinking I wished the Voice had stayed on the deck.  It continued, "Most of the stuff you are worrying about has nothing to do with you.  You have let it bother you and while doing so, it takes away your creativity.  It keeps you stagnant, like a bucket of water or a pond with no outlet, or a mud ..."

     "I know what stagnant means!"

     "Very well.", said the Voice.  "Then you understand that being in that frame of mind does you no favors.  Nobody wants to be around a whiner or a downer.  You have made the choice to be upset so just stop it.  There are always going to be things happen that might not seem like they are 'good' to you and there are always going to be people who choose to live differently.  You cannot control those things.  What you can do is make the choice to be yourself.  Continue to set an example, if you so choose, and if someone takes notice, so be it.  And if not, at least you will have been true to you."

     As usual, the Voice was right.  I was worrying about things that I could do absolutely nothing about.  I needed to change my focus to the things I knew I could accomplish.  Change is never easy to do or accept.  But life is full of changes and standing looking backwards gets a person nowhere.....nowhere at all.

     We were approaching the gravel driveway that leads to the back of the house when I noticed the flower.  It was one lone petunia that had seeded from last years plants.  It was growing out of the gravel and had a single dark pink bloom.  I was looking at it, thinking about how out of adversity, there was hope.

     Runtly walked over, inspected the flower, bit the bloom off and swallowed it.  The Voice laughed hysterically, chucked me on the shoulder and scampered up the steps with the dog. 

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment