Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Tick Tock, Tick Tock

     3:00 a.m.:  I hear something.  I open my eyes and the Voice, that lives in my head, is looking at me, eyebrows arched high above its eyes.  "Say it ain't so.", I mumble.

     The Voice is smiling.  No, it is more of a smirk.  "You wanted a dog." it whispered.

     3:15 a.m.  I come to the conclusion Runtly isn't dreaming.  He needs to go out.  This is not the norm, only once before has he had to go out in the middle of the night...aka very early morning.  I roll out of bed, grab my robe and slide my feet into a pair of flip flops.

     As with all animals, except humans, Runtly has no sense of time.  He is just as happy to see me at 3:15 a.m. as he is at 3:15 p.m.  We head down the hallway to the front steps.  Half way down, he stops.  Through the dim light of the upstairs hallway, I can see the reason why.  He had left me another prize by the front door last night.  Houdini pooper strikes again.  I don't know how he does it.  We watch him like a hawk soaring over a freshly mowed field looking for a mouse, and he still manages to elude us.

     I'm not happy and Runtly knows it.  I turn to give him my exasperated tone of voice and mad face.  In return, he begins to pee....on the stairs......down the stairs.....like he had not peed for several days.  I am thankful there is no carpet on the steps.

     3:25 a.m.  Runtly and I are marching back and forth in front of the house.  Again, I come to another conclusion.....I am up for the day.  The moon is orange, like a pumpkin.  Supposedly it is because of the forest fires in Alaska and the smoke has been traveling in the jet stream.  I ponder about this.

     3:45 a.m.  I'm fully dressed, with my hair fixed, cleaning up above mentioned mess.  Runtly wants to help.  

     4:00 a.m.  We are sitting on the front porch, listening to the birds wake.  Runtly wants to bark.

     4:44 a.m.  Referred to as "angel time".  I do not see any, perhaps they are sleeping in.  I've checked my email and answered a few correspondences.  I've listened to Runtly gnawing and wallowing a deer antler all over the hardwood floor.

     5:00 a.m.  Runtly goes back to bed.

     5:30 a.m.  I'm on the front porch again.  I hear a happy "Good Morning!"  My oldest daughter is out for her morning walk, with Runtly's mother.  I return the greeting and add that I have been up since 3.  I tell her why I have been up since 3.  I tell her I wanted a dog.  She throws her head back, laughs, wishes me a good day and disappears around the corner.  

     5:34 a.m.  The weather app on my phone says the sun will rise in three minutes.  It says the sky is clear and the visibility is 100 miles.  They must be standing somewhere other than here to make those calculations, but what the heck, I've got three minutes till sun rise, might as well watch it.

     5:37 a.m.  I'm standing on the back deck.  No clear skies, no sunrise, just a whiter shade of pale.  Now I have a song stuck in my head.

     5:45 a.m.  Tigger, the cat, is thrilled to see me.  He does not get much lap time since the dog has arrived and makes himself comfy. I pet him, listening to his snorty purr.  He begins to slobber on my shirt.

     6:00 a.m.  I make a mental note to buy stock in the company that makes lint rollers.  

     Probably going to be a two pot o' tea day.

No comments:

Post a Comment